Front C/O setup with rear stock shock and stock cutted coil

pdube1

Established Member
Hi,

I'm looking forward to upgrade the front suspension with MM coil over on next spring, I know this subject has been discussed a lot but even after reading several posts, I can't really find good answers to my questions.

First, I have a vert and my suspension setup is all stock except for the MM cc plate and MM flsfc. I have 10.5" rear cobra replica wheel with 1/4" spacer and 315 Nitto 555.

My goal is to drop the car about 1"1/2 for a better stance and better handling without sacrificing the comfort (I don't do racetrack or drag race), and also just for the fun of modifying my car :).
I would like to try the front only coil over application for now but here come my questions:

* Note that I also plan to install X2 balljoints and MM tapered bumpsteer kit to correct the suspension geometry for the 1"1/2 drop.

1- Is the front MM c/o application works/fit with the stock struts on my car? Or should I upgrade at least to bilstein HD. (From what I've read, bilstein HD has the same valving spec as my stocker struts but has more robust ears).

2- If I'm ok with the setup above, can the rear suspension remains stock (except stock cutted coil for the 1"1/2 drop), or will I get with an completely unbalanced car?

3- The road in my area are crap, so if I go with front c/o only, what would be the recommended spring rate? I thought about 325lbs (highest rate recommended for bilstein HD on MM site), am I correct?

4- My goal is to get c/o on all 4 corners one day, but from what I've read, the rear c/o application doesn't give much of an improvement. That is the main reason I want to start first with the front only. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

Woody6799

Established Member
1- Is the front MM c/o application works/fit with the stock struts on my car? Or should I upgrade at least to bilstein HD. (From what I've read, bilstein HD has the same valving spec as my stocker struts but has more robust ears).
- Skip this and go right with the MM race strut. I just got my HD C/O set up and while putting it together I knew the race was the way to go...
2- If I'm ok with the setup above, can the rear suspension remains stock (except stock cutted coil for the 1"1/2 drop), or will I get with an completely unbalanced car?
- Stock rear is fine if you stay with the HD/race set up. Mine is staying stock with Eibach springs.
3- The road in my area are crap, so if I go with front c/o only, what would be the recommended spring rate? I thought about 325lbs (highest rate recommended for bilstein HD on MM site), am I correct?
- They set me up with a 275# coil as its a weekend toy but not a tracker. Roads here are probably just as bad.
4- My goal is to get c/o on all 4 corners one day, but from what I've read, the rear c/o application doesn't give much of an improvement. That is the main reason I want to start first with the front only. What do you guys think?
- Depends on your goal of the car.

Thanks in advance.

Also, don't bother with the bumpsteer kit or the ball joints. When I spoke to Mike from MM he straight told me that it is not worth it if you are not tracking the car. For a regular driver stock is fine.

pdube1

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. I talked with MM last week, I was finally set with Bilstein HD coilover front with 325 lb/in spring (This is the minimum rate they recommended if I upgrade for the rear coilover later).

I never thought about race dampers, I'm afraid race will be way too stiff for the road here and I don't really look for performance... Mayby Bilstein Sport would be a good alternative to HD.

Anyway, I have until next spring to think about that. My cobra is winterized for the next 5-6 months! :-(

Users who are viewing this thread