Front brakes

whiplash920

Established Member
Looking to finally replace my stock front brake pads and rotors. Putting down about 700 whp - car sees the strip 6 to 9 times a year and then maybe 2 road course events per year.

What pads and rotors would be recommended? Thanks.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Stick with the factory rotors, they are vented and durable. drilled and slotted rotors usually develop stress cracks over time.

I cant rec Hawk HPS pads enough. Better stopping grip over factory and haven't chewed up my rotors. They mean it when they say minimal brake dust. Not even close to the amount of dust generated by factory pads.

You might even looks into the Hawk HPS 5.0 given ypu road course it a bit. For street/strip, regular HPS pads are fine.

Im running HPS front and rear and will stick with them for my next brake job.

barspen

Established Member
I agree with Lexustech48 on the Hawk HPS\HPS 5.0 choice for your application. I have run both. They are great for the street, will do what you want on the strip and are OK for beginner\light road course duty. Once (if) you start pushing it harder on the road course, the HPS will fade and you will want a more race-focused pad...especially on the front. I swap out my HPS pads for Carbotech XP-10 the night prior to a road course event and they stop on a dime when temps get hot.

whiplash920

Established Member
Where did you find the factory rotors? This the same as the ford performance rotors on lethal for $1249?... boy the price varies for rotors.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
If you are serious about HPDE racing, just bite the bullet and have a dedicated set of rotors and pads for the street, and a set for the track. Brake pad choice is always a compromise, and finding one that does it all, makes too many compromises, always in the most important areas of braking. A pad thats great on the track, is too cold on the street, etc... For $400 you could have a dual set up.

whiplash920

Established Member
If you are serious about HPDE racing, just bite the bullet and have a dedicated set of rotors and pads for the street, and a set for the track. Brake pad choice is always a compromise, and finding one that does it all, makes too many compromises, always in the most important areas of braking. A pad thats great on the track, is too cold on the street, etc... For $400 you could have a dual set up.
Thanks, since most of my driving is on the street, I am inclined to go with the hawk hps 5.0 pads...at least to see. If I get into road course more I may look into what you suggested...thanks again!

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
The reason I said two sets of rotors, is it is highly recommended NOT to mix pad types on one rotor, without resurfacing, so it's just easier to swap rotors and pads, versus resurfacing every time. The difference in friction material plays a big factor in disc chatter, and cross contamination of friction materials will create localized hot spots, which lead to brake pulsing. YMMV :)

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Looking to finally replace my stock front brake pads and rotors. Putting down about 700 whp - car sees the strip 6 to 9 times a year and then maybe 2 road course events per year.

What pads and rotors would be recommended? Thanks.

your stock brakes are more than sufficient for 2 road course days per year. just run better pads, hi temp brake fluid (a must) and ss lines are a good idea. no need to spend $$ for having some fun with your car a couple of times a year.

in fact, better tires will do more for you than better brakes. as long as youre not on drag radials for road course days. if you have drag radials for the strip, maybe grab another set of rear wheels/tires for open track days.

Users who are viewing this thread