Front brake pad question.

Teddy O

Established Member
I know there have been several front brake pad threads on here, but I think I've searched and read them all, and I still have a question.

Everyone agrees that the Hawk pads are short and leave about a 1/4" of the rotor face nearest the hub unused. But, my OEM pads leave about a 1/4" of the rotor face unused and rusty. So are the Hawk pads 1/4" shorter than the OEM and leave about a 1/2" of the rotor unused, or are the Hawk pads the same as OEM and they are both 1/4" shy?

I tried to make this question as simple as possible. I'm having an oddly difficult time sourcing a standard ceramic street pad for this car.

Thanks.

victorc

Established Member
what I was told is that the hawk pad (HP+) is 5mm smaller than the stock pad. You'd be using the lexes/Mercedes pad. The hawk pad for the gt500 is no good for the 13/14. It doesn't fit on the caliper.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
When doing research before I swapped mine, the Carbotech 1521 was the only OEM size match. They work great, no squeak & nearly no dust.

Teddy O

Established Member
The wording used in previous threads is the Hawk pads "will miss about 1/4" of the rotor at the bottom where the rotors transition to the hat". This describes my OEM pads which is where my confusion comes from. I found dimensions for the Hawk pads, I will pull my OEMs and measure for comparision.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
1zqsc4w.jpg

Hawk pads miss more than a 1/4" (kinda like 1/2"). The pad on the right is a Bendix pad for a Lexus ISF (same as a Hawk pad) and the left pad is a Carbotech pad patterned after the stock pad I sent them last year.

The proper brake pad will leave that tiny rotor surface unused, I was told by Carbotech the reason for that is to allow for 2 piece rotors down the road if and when they get manufactured.

Centric now also has street pads for '13/14 Shelbys (the proper type). I have a set waiting to go on my car.

Tony

Last edited:

01mingreyvert

Established Member
I have had the centric pads on my car for about 200 miles and the dust level is about half as much as stock. No squeals or any noise I really like them. Stops just like stock and I think $80 front and rear.

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
Heard really good things about the Carbotech, but it would be awesome if Pagid made a set for our Shelby's also.

Manuel

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
Heard really good things about the Carbotech, but it would be awesome if Pagid made a set for our Shelby's also.

Manuel

RS14 and RS19's are available for the 15" OEM Brembo front, and RS56 is available for the rear. I'm using the RS56's and I like them a lot. I've swapped my front brakes to 15" Stoptechs with RS29's.

Teddy O

Established Member
Thanks for the information. I took a shot in the dark and ordered some "premium" ceramics from my local Advanced Auto Parts. The pads that showed up were so far from the correct pads that I have no idea what they would fit. I don't know how they stay in business. Looks like I'll be ordering some Carbotechs.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
They probably sold you a set for a '12 Shelby (4 piston Brembo brakes).

The car's been out for almost 2 years now......................kills me that some of these places still don't know that the brakes are different on the '13/14 cars.

Teddy O

Established Member
They probably sold you a set for a '12 Shelby (4 piston Brembo brakes).

The car's been out for almost 2 years now......................kills me that some of these places still don't know that the brakes are different on the '13/14 cars.

I would've felt a little better about it if they had given me '12 pads, but the pads they gave me didn't have the 2 holes in each pad that the retaining pins go through on a Brembo caliper. If I was to guess I'd say the pads they gave me were for a base GT. I agree, 2 years out and still no brake pad options? Maybe they didn't produce enough 13/14's for the brake manufacturers to be bothered?

Carbotech's are pricey but you get what you pay for

I was at my local Ford dealer yesterday, and I had him look up front pads for the car just to amuse me. He said they were $300+, so I think that puts the cost of the Carbotechs in perspective and makes them seem a little more reasonable.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Rock auto, centric frt. pads 10416660 is $42.79 bucks. Comes with shims also.

They are 1/4 of the price of stock pads (Tasca price) or the Carbotechs and will work just as good.

I've said it before the only time I'll pay a couple hundred dollars for brakes pads is if they are track pads for track use only. For street use the centrics will fill the bill and work just as well as stock/Carbos for a lot less.

Last edited:

Teddy O

Established Member
Rock auto, centric frt. pads 10416660 is $42.79 bucks. Comes with shims also.

They are 1/4 of the price of stock pads (Tasca price) or the Carbotechs and will work just as good.

I've said it before the only time I'll pay a couple hundred dollars for brakes pads is if they are track pads for track use only. For street use the centrics will fill the bill and work just as well as stock/Carbos for a lot less.

I checked Centric's site a few times and couldn't find a listing for a '14. Excellent information, thank you Cman01. I assume since you are recommending the Centric pad that it is the proper size? 01mingreyvert confirmed the reduced brake dust of the Centrics, which is great, thank you.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
The centric brake pad I listed is for a '13/14 Shelby. I have a set sitting at home along with rear pads and 4 rotors waiting to go on my car all Centric stuff.

The first link is a post around April of this year, if you haven't seen it during a search it's worth a look. Post #59 has pics of the front centric pads.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...brake-pads/page3&highlight=centric+brake+pads

This post has pics of my front rotors from centric. All rotors are painted black on the hub and vented areas and great quality. I really like their products for street use and I also use their brake parts on the GF's daily and mine.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...id-another-Rock-Auto-centric-order&highlight=

And no I'm not a spokesperson for Centric I just like the quality of their products at a great price point. LOL!!!

Last edited:

01mingreyvert

Established Member
The centric brake pad I listed is for a '13/14 Shelby. I have a set sitting at home along with rear pads and 4 rotors waiting to go on my car all Centric stuff.

The first link is a post around April of this year, if you haven't seen it during a search it's worth a look. Post #59 has pics of the front centric pads.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...brake-pads/page3&highlight=centric+brake+pads

This post has pics of my front rotors from centric. All rotors are painted black on the hub and vented areas and great quality. I really like their products for street use and I also use their brake parts on the GF's daily and mine.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...id-another-Rock-Auto-centric-order&highlight=

And no I'm not a spokesperson for Centric I just like the quality of their products at a great price point. LOL!!!
This is where I got my info from back in April thanks Cman. The centrics are the way to go for a street pad. I have them front and rear and they are an exact match for the stockers.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
To keep it simple I should've just answered the question the OP asked.

Stock 13/14 frt. rotor diameter is 380mm, the Lexus ISF frt. rotor diameter is 360mm which means the current Hawk pad for a Lexus ISF will not contact 20mm of rotor surface on our rotors (as shown in the pic I provided above). 20mm works out to 0.78" which is over 3/4" area of rotor surface not used.

So the ISF pad will fit our calipers but you're not getting the full benefit of having that larger rotor area for braking if you use the Lexus pad. I hope this finally clears up the confusion and Hawk should get off their butts and produce the proper pads for our cars.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
...Stock 13/14 frt. rotor diameter is 380mm, the Lexus ISF frt. rotor diameter is 360mm which means the current Hawk pad for a Lexus ISF will not contact 20mm of rotor surface on our rotors (as shown in the pic I provided above)...

You were close - so close... The stock 13/14 frt. rotor diameter is 380mm with a radius of 190mm. The Lexus ISF frt. rotor diameter is 360mm with a radius of 180mm. That means the current Hawk pad for a Lexus ISF will not contact 10mm of rotor surface on our rotors.

The SVT pads are "D65" pads - the depth of the friction face is 65mm. The ISF/AMG pads are "D55", which is 10mm less and the face of the pad is correspondingly narrower. Sure enough, if you use them, they leave a 10mm (0.4") stripe untouched at the inner edge of the friction ring.

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
Thanks for the update, but why in the world would somebody buy a pad that does not use the full surface of the rotor?

Manuel

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread