Front brake caliper creaking, now what?

M4_ELITE

Established Member
So my front driver's side caliper creaks when pressing the pedal. Here's a video of someones mustang w/ same issue; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqZn5Vj5lZw

So that guy resolved his issue by hosing down the brake calipers, so I did the same yesterday and the sound went away, but came back after a few hours... Today I had more time so I took the caliper apart and sprayed it with brake cleaner. I noticed the calipers are in need of a rebuild, boots are pretty messed up. I'm thinking about rebuilding them myself but the brake bleeding part kinda gets to me.

The seals/boots are less than $10 from rockauto

or I can buy 2 reman'd calipers $124 from autozone and hope to get 2 matching calipers (some say cobra, baer, or milled off, painted light gray dark gray, I don't want to play the matching game, and then I've read others getting wrong calipers; 38mm piston cobra brakes (94-98) vs 40mm+ pistons (99-04))

or buy new 2 calipers from ford $400+

The only thing stopping me from rebuilding them myself is bleeding the brakes. I've read you have to bleed all 4 calipers, even if you just disconnected 1 caliper? What would you guys do?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread