From a Terminator to a C6 Z06

04Venom

Established Member
As the title indicates, I recently sold my Comp Orange Terminator and purchased a new 07 Z06. I still can't believe I own a Chevy after nothing but Fords (although I still have 2 Fords in the garage) and several Mustangs. I wish I could have kept the Cobra, but the the cost of a Z06 was too much to have 2 weekend cars. I guess my interest was aroused by CobraBob's description of driving his son-in-law's Z06 and the comparisons he made to his Cobra. As many correctly point out when the subject of Z06 vs. Terminator comparisons come up, they are two different types of cars.

First, of course is cost; the Z06 is twice the list price of the Terminator and it is not close to being twice as good. My Cobra actually handled rough surfaces, particularly mid-corner bumps, better than the Z06, which will occasionally hop to the side because of the stiff sidewalls of the runflat Goodyears. Clearly, a better shock will cure that, but the point is, the IRS in the Cobra does what it is supposed to do--improve handling. That said, the Z06 does corner and brake much better and the lower center of gravity and 525 lbs. less weight just cannot be ignored. The Z06 is also blindingly fast and much easier to launch than my Cobra. As CobraBob pointed out, it is a different sensation of speed; the Z06 is smoother, but pulls like train, just like the Terminator. I will also admit that the Z06's capabilities exceed my skills as a driver and I have some work to do in that area.

As others have repeatedly pointed out, it is easy and cheap to add a 100+ rwhp to the Cobra. Getting an extra 50 rwhp out of the Z06 runs into the thousands--big advantage to the Cobra. Fortunately, I don't feel the need to add power to the Z06, probably just an intake and exhaust, but that is still $2K for 20rwhp!!!

Posters on the Corvette forums complain about the C6 and Z06 just like the Cobra owners complain about various aspects of their rides. The moral of this long story is, I suppose, that I welcomed the opportunity to own a Z06 and I have no regrets, but the change has not diminished my respect for what the Terminator does at half the cost. I justify the cost of the Z06 because I am more interested in road handling than straight line acceleration, and the fact that the Z06 runs with F430s, Lambos, Ford GTs and Porsche GT3s at a fraction of their cost.

Long live the Terminator! I'll own one again, I'm sure.

Last edited:
Great writeup on the comparisons my friend. :thumbsup: I too hope one day to be able to sit my tush in a C6 Z06. A used one that is. :lol1:

N S

Wants to go faster
Established Member
I guess the age old adage is correct - the grass is always greener.....with that said, I'd rather have a C6 z06 than my Cobra. However, the reality is, and as you've pointed out, the cost effectiveness favors the Cobra.

GodStang

Established Member
04Venom said:
...As many correctly point out when the subject of Z06 vs. Terminator comparisons come up, they are too different types of cars...

Why does no one under stand this. I have never owned a Z06 but have worked on 2 2002s and a 2001. They are an amazing car without a doubt and I know the newer ones are levels above the old ones. I just do not understand why the people compare the two. Congrats on your purchase.

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
i love my cobra very much, but it can't really compare to a c6 z06. out of all the new cars out there i think this is the very best bang for your bucks:rockon: congrats on the new car

Venimus03

Established Member
Congrats Gary, glad you were able to get one. Good luck with it. :beer:

SlowSVT

Established Member
The Z06 is an awsome car without question. But to me nothing beats in the Terminator for "cool factor".

Great write up!

Yellow2003

Genetically lazy
Established Member
It is my intention to eventually own a C5 Z06. The Z06 is completely different in nature, design and outcome.

My only difference is I intend to add the Z (among other select cars).... not replace the Cobra:beer:

2face

Established Member
yeah good write up those cars are sick.i cant wait to see the write up you do when you get your azz handed to you by a cobra.you could have taken the xtra dough you spent and made one hell of a cobra.peace

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I love my car, but I would make the switch to a C6 Z-06 instantly and without one iota of regret. Your comparo is well written from the perspective of a casual enthusiast. As a track car, the Z completely destroys the Cobra. Weight, suspension geometry, and it not being blown are all big factors in that. The cost is significant, yes...but it requires nothing to be a world beater on track. The car, an extra set of wheels with track rubber, and some track pads.....all you need. :)

04Venom

Established Member
Venimus03 said:
Congrats Gary, glad you were able to get one. Good luck with it. :beer:

Venimus03 bought my Cobra. Hope you are enjoying it, Richie. I got more thumbs-up in the Cobra than with the
Z06.

Users who are viewing this thread