Friggin dealerships!

BPAcobra

Established Member
SO here I am,a 6 month old shelby and I take it in for an oil change. There seemed to be some slight air leakage from the left front tire so I ask them to check it out figuring that it would be the valve stem.. I get a call from them telling me that the air is leaking from....wait for it... THE FRIGGIN PLUG THAT WAS IN THE FRONT TIRE. Now mind you I did not pulg the tire (don't even know if anyone will plug one of these). Now the dealer I bought it from is tryin to pawn it off on the dealership they got it from to sell to me. Any thoughts on how to handle this? I am thinking I am going to get screwed because of the time frame but damn, to sell me a GD car that already has a plug in the tire.

enormous

Established Member
I would settle and put a patch under the plug and call it a day. Two of my stock Goodyears are near the end of their cycle and I have two plug/patches in them without issue.

LindsayEOD

Established Member
I would ask them to replace the tire. I dont think thats being unreasonable. I would be quite upset by it, though.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Why would anyone risk a plugged/patched tire on a car that might possibly see high speeds? They need to replace the tire!

THIS! you paid for a car with NEW tires. a tire with a plug in it is NOT NEW! you didn't get what you paid for then, you should get what you paid for now. settleing for a patched tire that came on a new car is supid. settleing for a patched tire that came on a high horsepower car is retarded.

enormous

Established Member
It is a difficult situation because of the six month timeframe. If the O/P noticed this right of the bat then the story might be different. If the O/P has a good relationship with his dealer they could come to a decent agreement. At 6 months after purchase I hope PBA can get a reasonable resolution.

brainpa

Established Member
It's on the dealer that sold you the car. If they want to squibble over it with the other dealer, fine; that's not your concern, however.

Customer service dictates they totally owe you a new tire, or even better, a pair.

And HELL NO don't settle for a patch! (And that's the correct perspective)

Says allot for their pre-owned inspection process.

Damn.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
For $200 tire dealer cost is it worth it for them to lose a customer(op) and anyone who the op might tell about the service you received from said dealer?
The dealer should replace the tire, and the dealer will get some relatively cheap pr and marketing from the op. Its not hard. :beer: If the dealer then wants to re-coupe the cost from the other dealer that would be up to them.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
It is a difficult situation because of the six month timeframe. If the O/P noticed this right of the bat then the story might be different. If the O/P has a good relationship with his dealer they could come to a decent agreement. At 6 months after purchase I hope PBA can get a reasonable resolution.
there is nothing difficult about it. one of the dealers had to know about it. a tire is cheap customer satisfacion compared to a thread like this getting put on a hundred local car forums.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
patching and plugs = no more speed rating on the tire. get a new one. Once the shell has a hole in it, it is no longer safe at speed...at least I wouldn't knowingly take it to 130+mph but that's just me.

Last edited:

slocum1946

singularity
Established Member
you should drive through the front window and tell them the plug caused you to lose control- try not to hit any people

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
I came to find out the tire on mine had two plugs when it started losing air. The tire had seen 130-150 mph, I would patch it and move on, it's not that big of a deal IMHO

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
You may have taken the tire to that speed...doesn't change the fact it isn't rated for that any longer since the integrity of the tire was compromised with two holes which is clearly not the same as a DR with an intact shell :bored:

Last edited:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Guess I better not drive fast with my DRs then as the aren't speed rated.

2011SVT

"Oderint Dum Metuant"
Established Member
you should drive through the front window and tell them the plug caused you to lose control- try not to hit any people

LOLskis.

(Yes, assuming you did not buy the car "AS IS", they owe you a new tire if you want to insist on it)

airmanb2b

Established Member
If it is a used car, you are going to have a hard time getting a dealership to pay for a new tire because you bought the car 6 months ago with a plug in it.

Users who are viewing this thread