Friend of mine put on a 2.8 on his L, doesn't think he needs a tune...

96BlackSnake

I Am The Chosen One
Established Member
Called me an idiot when I said you should have it tuned or at the very least get the a/f checked out

Says his motor is fine and the 2 lbs of boost or so he got from it is well worth it.

Theres an upcoming dynoday I want him to attend, maybe we he gets an A/F reading in the mid to upper 12's, he'll change his mind.

What do you guys think?

96BlackSnake

I Am The Chosen One
Established Member
RBakerian said:
Theres only so much you can do, ....boom.

He's just stubborn, maybe if it does blow, which I would hate to see, cuz I wouldn't wish a 4-5k+ rebuild on anyone, he'll think straight.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
If the 2.8 was all he added then no he doesn't NEED tune, the stock tune can handle up to an additional 4# of boost. Now whether he SHOULD get it checked is a no brainer of course but it is after all HIS truck. Just tell him he's missing out on another ~25 rwhp and ~35rwtq by not being tuned and see what he says.

96BlackSnake

I Am The Chosen One
Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
If the 2.8 was all he added then no he doesn't NEED tune, the stock tune can handle up to an additional 4# of boost. Now whether he SHOULD get it checked is a no brainer of course but it is after all HIS truck. Just tell him he's missing out on another ~25 rwhp and ~35rwtq by not being tuned and see what he says.

He has the usual bolt on mods...

I'll tell him that and see what he says.

Bootbox

Established Member
He's right. You don't even need a tune for a 4lb'r if you don't go WOT under 60 degrees or so. I ran my 2lb'r for months, even in the cold weather, with no issues, and my 4lb'r all winter with no tune. Just stayed out of the WOT runs in the cold with the 4lb.

edit: beaten by fade :)

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
The stock tune is safe with that 2#er and even with a four # pulley. Of course he leaves some HP on the table by not running a good tune.
Jim

prototype

Established Member
Bootbox said:
He's right. You don't even need a tune for a 4lb'r if you don't go WOT under 60 degrees or so. I ran my 2lb'r for months, even in the cold weather, with no issues, and my 4lb'r all winter with no tune. Just stayed out of the WOT runs in the cold with the 4lb.

edit: beaten by fade :)

Thats no fun! :bored:

baer42

Established Member
I only have a 2.76 and needed a tune. I had an a/f between 14.5-13.8. Every truck is different. I think my truck was lean before maybe. He should spend the money just to be safe

supragod98

Established Member
:eek: A 4lb'er with no tune you guys are brave. I doubt that can be very safe or reliable. I would def get a tune if your adding boost. Its not worth the 6K cost to rebuild it should something go wrong.

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
fyi, 2.80 upper = 1-1.5lbs boost. 1.76 = 2lbs boost. 4lber no tune =15hp+/- 4lber with tune 40hp+/- You can run'em both with out a tune, but 1) your not gonna get the max peroformance out of it. 2) with out knowing your Air/Fuel ratio, you gamblaling. ans 3)imo, your just wasting money.

svtspeedfreak

FuNcTiOnAL AlCoHoLiC
Established Member
Does it make a difference in what year truck you have? Will adding a 4lb lower on a 2000L compared to a 2003L change the a/f ratio, due to the different factory tunes? Sorry to hijack......

203Cree

Established Member
Yes. The 03's/4 run a bit leaner than the 99's-02's do. I wouldn't do it Kev. Not with the temp swings we have here.

As far as the 2.8 goes, he can do it. It's not a big deal guys. Hell, we see what, an avg 1-2 psi from a CAI and that doesn't require a tune, does it? No. If his truck is anything like mine was, he really won't even see any boost from it. You guys all know my thoughts on the 4lber, no tune. Take it for what it's worth, it's free. :)

Gripstang

KickPushKickPush,Coast..
Established Member
I have a CAI, and a 2.80 upper with the canned (91 0ct) Predator tune. I dont believe their is a problem with him runnin the 2.80 on the stock tune at all.

Users who are viewing this thread