Friction modifier

mackdog2008

Established Member
So I put new gear oil in my differential, went with amsoil severgear 75w 140 and added 4oz of amsoil slip lock, I am getting a whine from the clutches when I turn.
I
bought a bottle of motorcraft friction modifier, is it safe to put that in there since there is already the amsoil slip lock in it ?

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
So I put new gear oil in my differential, went with amsoil severgear 75w 140 and added 4oz of amsoil slip lock, I am getting a whine from the clutches when I turn.
I
bought a bottle of motorcraft friction modifier, is it safe to put that in there since there is already the amsoil slip lock in it ?

Depends. What diff do you have? The reason I ask, is because you don't need to add friction modifier to the Torsion differentials.

Also, I wouldn't mix two different brands.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Amsoil pruducts work better with each other so drain what you got and go with amsoil's friction modifier!

Riptide

Established Member
I've had problems due to adding friction modifier to a fill that already had it in there to begin with. More is not always better.

mackdog2008

Established Member
Amsoil pruducts work better with each other so drain what you got and go with amsoil's friction modifier!

That's what I have in there now is all amsoil, I need to know if I can add some motorcraft friction modifier because the amsoil stuff is causing my clutches to make noise.

Zemedici

Established Member
I've had problems due to adding friction modifier to a fill that already had it in there to begin with. More is not always better.

This. More is oftentimes worse in terms of friction modifier compared to less.

In my opinion it wont hurt anything to add a little ford friction modifier. I am assuming you added the whole bottle of amsoil modifier?

See above.

Slowb00st

Established Member
I was in about in the same boat, i used redline shock proof that does not have any friction modifyer and about 3 oz of torco type F modifyer and had mostly when the car was cold (Im in Puerto Rico so at coldest 80 F) diff noise that most time I can discribe it as power steering noise. Added what i think was 2 oz of the ford racing modifyer (made a mess) and noise gone, only about 1k miles on it.

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
i while back i had to put two 4 oz bottles in my f150 to stop the chatter so i dont think more will hurt anything.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Ive heard of issues with other friction modifier other than motorcraft. I recommend staying with the proper amount of the full 4oz motorcraft friction modifier.

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
when i turned at any throttle level i had bad chatter.the two bottles was for the size of the 10.25 gear housing.

Users who are viewing this thread