Freeze your IRS Bushings

SCREAMnCOBRA

Established Member
A few days before I installed my IRS bushings, I put the new ones in a ziplock bag in the freezer. When installing them, coat the subframe shell with polyurethane grease and they slide right in! Saved me a lot of time.

After the fight with removing the stock bushings, I hope this saves somebody else some time!

SCREAMN

BWH2003

Established Member
freezing will cause most materials to shrink thereby making it fit in a tight spot easier. Then as it warmes up it expands filling the gaps. Very good info though

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
tapped mine in with a hammer. Just leave the sleeve out, tap in the bushings, then put in the sleeve.

I guess you could chill them in the beer cooler while you are hogging out the stock bushings though :beer:

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
If they are too tight, they will eventually start binding up and cause squeeking and pogo sticking. I did the same freezer trick but later had to drop the IRS again and open up the bushings with the cylinder hone method to get adequate clearance and a smooth ride. A nice easy slip fit at room temperature is what's required.

SciFiHiFi

Established Member
badboy can you elaborate on this 'cylinder hone method'. My bushings are causing me all sorts of ride/noise issues. I am not sure how to tell if they are installed correctly.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
badboy said:
If they are too tight, they will eventually start binding up and cause squeeking and pogo sticking. ...snip...

Yeah but..... you are talking delrin uca/lca bushings with the squeek right?

Thread starter is talking the non-rotating poly IRS subframe ones.

are we on the same page? :read: or am i :eek:

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
postban said:
Yeah but..... you are talking delrin uca/lca bushings with the squeek right?

Thread starter is talking the non-rotating poly IRS subframe ones.

are we on the same page? :read: or am i :eek:
Yea, you're right. I need to read more carefully.

Users who are viewing this thread