Freeze Plug

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Aaaaaaaaag I trying to figure out what a freeze plug looks like..... on my '86 a few people think its causing my massive coolant leak, I have searched the web and cant find any info. Thanks......

_Zach

Vito

Broken
Established Member
try looking at the ground and maybe pinpoint the leak ...or roll it in flour and look for the wet spot :D

Vito

Broken
Established Member
I dont know, whichever you have on hand. I never really did figure out my radiator so I had it replaced. could that be the problem?

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Originally posted by BigVito
I dont know, whichever you have on hand. I never really did figure out my radiator so I had it replaced. could that be the problem?
Looks like all the coolant is coming from under the car, not the radiator.

My car guy had my head on a platter for driving it home without coolant..........

Vito

Broken
Established Member
freeze plug? hmm Im sure its the same place on all 5.0 but you dont have that do you?

Vito

Broken
Established Member
Originally posted by sohowcome
nope V-Sucks

wheres it at on the 5.0?
I dont know but I thought someone here might've. is that the3.8?

SL 1993 R

Established Member
The freeze plugs will usually be found on the lower portion of the engine block. Try looking a couple inches above where the oilpan bolts to the block. Going from memory I believe there are 3 on each side of the block, and 1 at the back of the block, high and right behind the cam. The freeze plugs are about 2 inches in diameter and concave shaped inward about 1/2 inch or so.. If you need to replace one, it is a fairly simple process. The hardest part will be having the room to access it......

SL 1993 R

Established Member
Freeze plugs are not in contact with the oil. Thus they cannot cause an oil leak.. I'm not sure what motor you have, 3.8 or 5.0. The 3.8 are known for blowing head gaskets and have many TSB's issued on them... The 3.8 has a iron block with aluminum heads. The heads tend to warp when they get overheated. If the car was driven home without coolant, the engine may have been damaged. The car wouldn't show a high temp on the temp gauge, as there was no water/coolant flowing around the sensor. A friend of mine lost an engine that way. His wife was driving and the car stopped. The temp gauge never went up into the red/hot zone because there wasn't any liquid flowing passed the sensor..

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Originally posted by SVT X 2
If it's the Stang... he's got the 3.8 and I'd lay money on it that it's a headgasket leak...
It leaks when the car isnt running............. I pour it in and it all runs out on the bottom right away.......

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
its hard to tell it all comes out really fast...... could crawl up and get a bath I guess, a few people told me to check the freeze plugs...........

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Have the 'ol lady pour in the antifreeze and crawl under there WITH SAFETY GLASSES ON and see where it comes out! If you have a dog... KEEP IT AWAY FROM THE AIFREEZE!

Phillie16

Established Member
Definatley check the back corners of the head. 3.8 head gaskets are notorious for blowin out on the back corners. My guess says thats your problem!

SL 1993 R

Established Member
It can leak out with the motor not running. If this happens, look towards the freeze plugs. If it only happens with the motor running, it probably means that the coolant system must have pressure for the leak to occur, which could be the head gasket, or any other gasket that comes in contact with the coolant. You will probably have to crawl under the car to see exactly where the leak is coming from. You shouldn't have a problem using plain water while looking for the leak, so you don't have coolant dripping in your face. If you are under the car with it running, make sure it is PROPERLY supported.

Even with living in "sunny California," I have lots of projects sitting right now while waiting for the weather to get better. I don't blame you for not wanting to get wet while looking for a leak in the coolant system. I probably wouldn't want to do it till "spring."

:D :D :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread