Free set if SOHC 5.4 Heads

DSM Storm

Established Member
Well guys. 2 days ago a customer ran his truck out of oil. Its a 98 expedition and I finished yanking the engine this morning to replace it with a junk yard engine. I spoke to the skipper and hes letting me keep the old motor. Basically im thinking of yanking the heads off this thing. Its a 98 engine so the chamber volume is greater than that of our trucks. Are these heads worth pulling? or should I just trash the motor all together?

Storm

Bootbox

Established Member
Power Improved.

From here.

1999-’01 SOHC
When the "power improved" (PI) heads were introduced in ’99, Ford increased the size of the dish in the piston to compensate for the smaller chambers in the "PI" heads while still maintaining the same compression ratio.

Last edited:

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
DSM Storm said:
Well guys. 2 days ago a customer ran his truck out of oil. Its a 98 expedition and I finished yanking the engine this morning to replace it with a junk yard engine. I spoke to the skipper and hes letting me keep the old motor. Basically im thinking of yanking the heads off this thing. Its a 98 engine so the chamber volume is greater than that of our trucks. Are these heads worth pulling? or should I just trash the motor all together?

Storm
If it ran out of oil, then the heads are probably trashed too.
The top end is the farthest point from the oil pump and the first place you lose oil pressure.
Rockers, springs, tappets, camshaft bores and valve guides are probably toast.

DSM Storm

Established Member
Yea, its a 98 motor, non PI. When I checked his oil sticker, he was 1500 miles overdue. Still not sure why it ran out of oil @ only 4500 miles. Anyhow, I dont plan to drop these in without a rebuild. Most of the lifters seem collapsed, this could be due to lack of oil inside them. Valvetrain seems to be operating properly otherwise meaning there are no seized valves. Just not sure if these heads are worth anything.

Storm

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Pull the cam caps off and take a peek. If they are funked up just use the heads for scrap cause there is more than just that wrong with them

Users who are viewing this thread