free beer

Evs04Snake

Established Member
Ok..now that i have your attention....

Im a noob....plain and simple.

I need help with my car.

Mods are only a K&N CAI, Magnaflow catback, smaller pulley.

It idles roughly at times, studders while cruising and has stalled out 3 times today.

Is drivable but not much fun like this.

I was wondering if one of you nice people had time this weekend to look it over, teach me about the xcal2 and advise me on what to do?

Im in Frederick and would be willing to meet someone if not too far.

Had it dyno'd at SGS on dyno day, Feb 9th.

They installed new plugs and a tune with a xcal2.

Since then it has run well except for last 2 days.

Oh and the free beer?
Its the least I can do for your help.:beer:

Thanks.

SVTORANGE

Established Member
Sounds to me and I am no mechanic like you also need to do the fuel mod and maybe check the fuel filter.:shrug: Just a suggestion.

04yellowcobra

Established Member
bad gas?? What gap did SGS use on the plugs? What kind of plugs? Is it running rich? Rare, but possible that the plugs are fouled already. Any check engine light?

I am not going to be around this weekend, and don't know anything about the X-cal 2 anyway. Give Bill a call down in silver spring "wiseguy" on the board here, I am sure he will be more than happy to help you out.

Later

Evs04Snake

Established Member
Please explain the fuel mod.
Fuel filter would be easy and quick...will get one soon.

SGS put in Autolite 103's..I dont know the gap.
It was tuned for 93 gas.
No check engine lights.

F8LBITEva

Alexis Texas' #1 fan
Established Member
a fuel filter is cheap insurance, these cars go through more fuel than a "normal" car would. Also from whats been discussed here and other places, NGK TR6's is the best choice for pullied cobras. Never heard of anyoneputting autolites in.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Does your car have an aftermarket Throttle Body? Sounds similiar to the symptoms when your TPS needs adjusting.

Red Devil

Village Idiot
Established Member
a fuel filter is cheap insurance, these cars go through more fuel than a "normal" car would. Also from whats been discussed here and other places, NGK TR6's is the best choice for pullied cobras. Never heard of anyoneputting autolites in.
Those are the plugs I had when I first installed my S/C. Dave at SGS swapped them out for Autolites too because the plugs were missfiring at high rpms. Put in the autolites and it ran fine.:shrug:
Maybe some set ups just don't like the TR6s

SVTORANGE

Established Member
bad gas?? What gap did SGS use on the plugs? What kind of plugs? Is it running rich? Rare, but possible that the plugs are fouled already. Any check engine light?

I am not going to be around this weekend, and don't know anything about the X-cal 2 anyway. Give Bill a call down in silver spring "wiseguy" on the board here, I am sure he will be more than happy to help you out.

Later

Gas filter change and possibly doing the upgrade to the plastic lines at the pumps is what i was referring too?

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
My car has autolite 103's. I think you'd probably be better with the NGK TR6 plugs and find out what cobra guys gap them to. Based on your mods, John Lund could probably send you a great tune for your XCal2, but its up to you whether you wanna stick with the SGS tune or not.

Hissssnsvt

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
My car has autolite 103's. I think you'd probably be better with the NGK TR6 plugs and find out what cobra guys gap them to. Based on your mods, John Lund could probably send you a great tune for your XCal2, but its up to you whether you wanna stick with the SGS tune or not.

Dude WTF? Why do you assume there is something wrong with his tune? This guy said his car has been running great up until a few days ago. That right there tells me its not the tune! FYI, he cannot simply have your tuner send him a "great" tune without him going back to SGS to have his Xcal2 unlocked.

Did you call sgs?

Thank you! This is your answer...

If you need any help with anything I'm in Frederick and know a few things alot these cars....

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
Hey man. I was the one who talked to you a week or so ago on 270 south. Car sounded great that day for sure, so it is weird that it would start acting funny out of the blue. Did Dave tune your car or just dyno it? I would definitely give him a call and tell him what you are experiencing. He will take care of you. Oh, and my rough idle and low RPM stumble improved greatly by installing NGK TR6ix (Iridiums). Expensive, but worth it IMO. :beer:

Almo

Established Member
Did you call sgs?

Bingo... nothing against John Lund but I can't believe Lund was mentioned as a step in front of SGS type phrase, especially when the car started at SGS. Bunch of BS if you ask me. This is simple, call George at SGS and they will take care of you.

playwithmysnake

car is forsale
Established Member

NGK TR6's are good for some,but not all cobras, i had a problem also with a seems of a miss fire/ studder and also car turning off at red lights after driven for a while,,, Put in denso's and never had a problem again ,, i did have the ngks in for 8-10,000 miles ,while runnning a 2.76 upper and 2lb lower ..... just my .02 hope it helps

Evs04Snake

Established Member
As Homer Simpson would say...DOOOOOH!!!!!!..as I smack my head.
Im such a noob....I should have thought to just go back to SGS.
I thank you all for your advice.

RedDevil..Im about 2 miles from FSK mall.
RickJames...Thanks for the kind words...When ya waved me down on 270 I thought you might be one of those damn SUV cops and was gonna give me hell for no front tag...Was relieved to hear ya say hi.

Red Devil

Village Idiot
Established Member

RickJames...Thanks for the kind words...When ya waved me down on 270 I thought you might be one of those damn SUV cops and was gonna give me hell for no front tag...Was relieved to hear ya say hi.
I'm about 2 miles from 75-80

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member

Haha, no I think those cops are usually pimpin Ford Exploders. Funny thing is I got pulled over almost exactly where I saw you for no front plate a year ago. I'm in Villages of Urbana BTW, prolly not far from you since I am no more than 4 miles from FSK. Later.....

Evs04Snake

Established Member
Update..I found my air filter had fallen off.
The car came with a K&N fipk.
I put it back on and drove for 30 mins..stop and go traffic and highway.
No roughness, no stalls.
I dont know how this would make it run rough and stall but all is fine now.
Im happier than a tornado in a trailer park.:banana:

Users who are viewing this thread