Free 1994 Mustang GT Convertible question on engine

Snagmaster

Established Member
I was given a 94 GT Vert by family friends, it had been stored on their land for 6 months but 2-1/2 years later they got tired of looking at it and did the paperwork to dispose of it as the owner could not be found

They knew I own a 98 Cobra Vert so asked if I wanted it, i pulled the battery, charged it overnight, replaced one battery terminal, put 3 gallons of premium in the tank, checked all fluids, pulled the coil wire and spun it over till I got pressure on the gauge

It fired right up, no check engine light, no oil smoke from the exhaust, no overheating, it runs great

It has 185,000 on the odometer, it drives really nice but I haven’t beat on it as it sat for so long and I didn’t want to burn a ring if one was stuck or such

It has great oil pressure like what you would expect from a new engine, my question is where is the vin number on the block?, what color was the factory painting engines that year?, it has black steel valve cover with a white 888 on the drivers side cover

I’m trying to figure out if the engine is original, has been rebuilt, or has been replaced with another

I just need some direction on what to look for, I’m just not up on 302’s and don’t want to spend hours trying to figure it out

Any help on what to look for and where to look?

Thanks for any help, much appreciated

BTW the car will be given to my older sister in Colorado, she’s owned them all from a 67 GT 500 Shelby to a 66 2+2 to a Mach One SCJ to a pace car, a Boss 302, a 98 Cobra Hardtop, a 68 GTA Fastback and others

It’s going to a good home

Dusten

Established Member
I don't think the sn95's had vins on the block.

Edit: a quick Google search says this
The 5.0s do have PART of the VIN engraved on the rear of the block, right behind the rear intake end seal gasket. You will see a bunch of numbers that contain part of the car's VIN number. It is almost impossible to see with the intake installed and is usually covered in sludge or other trash.

Snagmaster

Established Member
Thanks for the reply

I’m a retired diesel wrench and do know my way around an engine

Just not familiar with fords, there’s so much stuff and wires and such on the engine I can barely see the valve covers

I remember my buddy’s 1990 Arizona highway patrol notch back had those cast valve covers and this one has stamped steel from what I see

I’ll just have to put it up on stands and get out the flashlight to see if the engine mounts or trans bolts have been wrenched on to see if it’s been out of the car

But it’s pretty flippin cold out right now, it may have to wait, it has really good oil pressure like I’ve never seen in an engine with 185,000 on the clock

It’s not in spun bearing pressure area though, I’ve seen a few of those and this isn’t pegging the gauge, the last owner took excellent care of the car so I’m thinking it’s been out

No history or paperwork on the car except for a carfax I ran on it

It sat in a field for 2.5 years and I charged the battery, replaced a battery terminal, spun it over with the coil unplugged till I saw oil pressure on the gauge

Hooked the coil back up, put in three gallons of premium and drove it home

And the price was right….

Dusten

Established Member
Thanks for the reply

I’m a retired diesel wrench and do know my way around an engine

Just not familiar with fords, there’s so much stuff and wires and such on the engine I can barely see the valve covers

I remember my buddy’s 1990 Arizona highway patrol notch back had those cast valve covers and this one has stamped steel from what I see

I’ll just have to put it up on stands and get out the flashlight to see if the engine mounts or trans bolts have been wrenched on to see if it’s been out of the car

But it’s pretty flippin cold out right now, it may have to wait, it has really good oil pressure like I’ve never seen in an engine with 185,000 on the clock

It’s not in spun bearing pressure area though, I’ve seen a few of those and this isn’t pegging the gauge, the last owner took excellent care of the car so I’m thinking it’s been out

No history or paperwork on the car except for a carfax I ran on it

It sat in a field for 2.5 years and I charged the battery, replaced a battery terminal, spun it over with the coil unplugged till I saw oil pressure on the gauge

Hooked the coil back up, put in three gallons of premium and drove it home

And the price was right….

The foxes and sn95's have different valve covers.

Snagmaster

Established Member
Take some pics
I took pics but I don’t know how to make them smaller so I can’t post them yet

The engine is so covered with everything it’s hard to even see the valve covers except on the drivers side

It doesn’t seem to have any oil smoke from the exhaust and I’m hoping it won’t in the future but I’ve only run it for about an hour if that

It doesn’t run hot, no oil in the coolant, no CEL’s, I think I got really lucky, it could have been a clapped out junker but the first owner had it six months, may have been a lease

Second owner had it for years and really took care of it according to the carfax

Third owner only put 5000 miles on it before parking it at my friends house

It was full of coolant, oil was brown not black, it’s dead stock except for the K&N air filter from what I can see so far

I wanted to find a notch body and swap it all over but my Sister wants it so it’s going to Colorado

I own the Cobra, that’s enough for me at my age

The two cars drive totally different though, the GT is quieter and although I haven’t jumped on the loud pedal yet you can feel the difference in power even driving it normally, my Cobra is a beast compared to the GT

Thanks for all the reply’s, everything helps

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread