FR500 Exhaust Kit

VetKiller

Established Member
I understand Ford Racing has a complete exhaust setup that crosses behind the mufflers. I also understand the muffler chambers open to straight through on WOT. Does anyone have this kit on their 03 Cobra? How does it sound? How does it perform? What is the diameter of the pipes and tips?

I assume the cross behind the muffler raises the torque abit since it would elevate backpressure. Is it worth chucking the Flowmaster quiet-thunder cat backs for the FR500?

Thanks!
:)

Bingo13

Established Member
Do a search on this subject and you will find several post. I have preferred the FR500 to several other exhaust systems I have used on this car. ;-)

Fred G

Established Member
Vette Killer,
I had the FR500 on my '03 and ultimately replaced it with Magnaflow. The FR 500 was way to quiet for my taste, plus at one of our dyno days, we found the FR500 to produce the least amount of hp. On my car, it made only 11 hp and lost 1 ft lb. torque. After I ultimately went to a Magnaflow catted X, the thought of two X's in the exhaust finally got to me, so I pulled the FR500 and replaced it with the Magnaflow cat back. Although I did not re-dyno after the switch to the full Magnaflow system, there is no doubt that there was a big boost in torque. HP more than lilkey also increased, but probably by only a few ponies, which no one is gonna feel anyway.

One thing. you should be aware of is that the tips are only 2 1/4"
on the FR500, smaller than the stock 03. Also, close to $600 bucks is a lot of wood for a marginal increase in perfomance.

BTW, Don one the guys from here and BON, for the hell of it, installed a throw-away free-be '01 Snake cat back on his '03 and dyno'd at 396 hp. Other than the silencer removed, he had no other mods. Since he did not baseline with the stock '03 exhaust, we can't be sure of what the motor was bone stock, but giving him the benefit of a stout 03 at maybe 388 or 389 hp, he basically had to pick up 6 or 7 hp by installing the 01 exhaust over the 03. It sounded better and looked (tips) better than the FR500. Of course the cost ($0) was the dealmaker in my mind over the FR500.

I hope not to confuse the issue, but telling it like it is, is what these forums are all about.
Fred G.

VetKiller

Established Member
Thanks to all

Thanks for those whom have replied to the questions. Given the steep price I have to agree that the proce is alot of wood to make marginal / questionable gains.

What is different about the 01 Cobra exhaust that makes the higher gains compared to the stock 03 Cobra exhaust?

Thanks!

Fred G

Established Member
Vetkiller,
From what we could tell, a little less crimping in the pipes and probably less restriction in the mufflers, since the 01 is definately louder than the 03.
Fred

Orange Poison

Established Member
I don't know....I had on the Flowmaster AT CB and it had 3 inch tips....I thought they looked rather small too after looking at various other brands. If you're gonna go aftermarket why not get something more robust. Then again, you can always have the tips changed too.

Bingo13

Established Member
I have really liked all of the exhaust systems that I have tried but liked the FR500 the best due to the performance increase without the loudness of the other systems. The main reason it is on the car is for daily driving otherwise the Stinger system would be my choice.

My tips were 2.5" flaring to about 2.75" at the end. In back to back same day dynos (reset the computer and drove 50 miles) between the FR500 and the Magnaflow the car lost 2 rwhp and 0 torque.

The cost compared to the Magnaflow system was a bit over the top but my ears appreciated the sound difference. ;-)

RossGN

Established Member
Just went out to the garage and measured the tips on mine....3"

Fred G

Established Member
Ross,
I purchased my FR500 in June 02, When did you get yours. The tips on mine were definately smaller than the stock 03's.

mosconiac

Established Member
Can anyone PLEASE post a sound clip?

There are very few (if any) clips of an FR-500 on an '03.

TIA, mosconiac

Users who are viewing this thread