FR500 CB Users - Effects of H and Downstream X

99svtvert

Has anyone given any thought to the effects of 2 crossovers. For instance, my FR500 setup has a ProChamber "sort of an H" and then a downstream "X".

Theoretically, what does this do to flow ? Does it help it or hurt it ?

What about straight pipes from the headers to the CB and only a downstream "X" ?

????

Charles236

Established Member
The H-pipe type crossover is actually more for sound tuning than back pressure reduction. Theoretically, the H crossover allows some equallization of backpressure, but this occurs mostly in the lower part of the powerband. The X-pipe design in theory offers better exhaust scavenging at higher engine speeds, but gives a higher pitched sound. The original FR500 exhaust used a high flow catted H-pipe as the mid-pipe, with the familiar FR500 cat-back, and was claimed to have advantages in sound control and performance over conventional exhaust systems. I initially installed my FR500 with a Magnaflow catted X-pipe, which gave a nice sound, but not quite what I wanted. I currently have the stock catted H-pipe installed, because I wanted a more tradional sound at idle. I will be swapping in an MRT catted H-pipe as soon as I can spend the money, since I believe that this will give me the sound I want, based on the sound with the stock H-pipe installed.

Users who are viewing this thread