FR500 CB installed !

YardSpecial

War Veteran X 2
Established Member
Picked up a used FR500 exhaust, fit was perfect.

Car is kinda quiet, has nice sound on top.

Funny thing is the bottom end power, pulls high gear with ease now.

Love how easy IRS exhaust comes off, old system was like 5 minutes tops.

Install was like maybe 20. Wish my GT was that easy.

Would have to say great system for fit and stealth look.

Update:

Did some more driving today, cars pulls like crazy. The stock pipes where barely 2" in the bends.
CAI and tune are next.

Peace :pepper:

stangbuff

Established Member
Congrats on the buy, it's an under appreciated CB (especially if you have a convertible like me). I found the FR500 way too quiet initially but it came to life in a short time; I had one on the car for 3K miles and ended up loving it. I just swapped it out for the Borla 14858 CB and kind of miss it already. The Borla CB sounds great, especially as you're running through the gears. However, contrary to the editorials I've read here there is drone (or facsimile there of disguised as loudness). As my wife put it: "you swapped out a drone at 1800 RPM for a constant one at all RPM's." Enjoy!

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
congrats.... I Love my FR500 with the ProChamber. I installed them at the same time so i really don't know what it would have sounded like with just the CB

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
I've heard several people say the same thing about how well they like the FR500.

I recall seeing a dyno with one and I believe they picked up like 10 HP OVER the catback they had. Wish I could find it.

FR500 is on my short list of catbacks to get.

YardSpecial

War Veteran X 2
Established Member
I just did not want another LOUD exhaust that calls cops. The 97 and 02 are plenty loud. SLP and Magna packs.

I got a killer deal on a used FR500, glad I went this route. I really wanted Borla Stingers. Heard them on several 03-04 Cobra's, just way to loud in the end.

I know I picked some HP on the top end and with the aft X, bottom end seems better.

The test was high gear below 2K, car just pulls the gear eaiser.

Next is a Bassani mid headers and X pipe, then a MAF/CAI kit.

I expected to lose tons of bottom end, but it was not the case on our car...........

griffined

SVT driver
I really like the FR500 I put on my 01 for the same reasons. If you put a catted Bassani X on, I'd really like to know what you think, because that's probably the next mod I'd do to my 01, but I wouldn't want to make it too loud. With the stock H pipe it's good.

Ed

BadaBing

Let's take a look....
Established Member
I also put the FR500 cat back on my vert this spring, I have about 5000 miles on it now, and it sounds great. It was pretty quiet at first, not much different than stock, but seems to be getting louder as I put miles on it. I get alot of compliments on how the car sounds, and very noticable gains in power at all rpm.

CobraG

Established Member
I could have had one of these but passed it up due to I thought it woudn't be loud enough. I won't even say how much I could have had it for, but it was a very good deal.
I'm kicking myself now :cryying:

TheHolyCobra

Widened 10th Wheel Guy...
Established Member
lemosley01 said:
I've heard several people say the same thing about how well they like the FR500.

I recall seeing a dyno with one and I believe they picked up like 10 HP OVER the catback they had. Wish I could find it.

FR500 is on my short list of catbacks to get.

I think you are talking about the dyno and install that Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords did a while back. Here is the artcle for the install and dyno sessions for a '01 Cobra:

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/0201mmff_500exhaust/

THC

Users who are viewing this thread