FR500 Cams and Heads Soundfile

99svtvert

For those who have asked, I tried to record the the exhaust from about 8-10 feet behind the rear bumper this afternoon. To cut down on filesize I deleted the video portion (which have found out is required at Google). Posting of an audio/video is new to me. Idle is 900-910 RPM.

Remember, this is a 4.6; 99 Cobra; FR500 Heads, FR500 Cams, FR500 Intake, JBA Shorties, Mac Prochamber with Cats, and FR500 Catback. So, it has 2 crossovers.

I reality it is louder than the clip shows and deeper but that is hard to capture on a cheap Video camera. With LT's and a Catless Crossover, I think it would be realy loud; like Nazman's.

ca13.jpg

Sound file ==> Click link below

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7129875640154894001

Last edited by a moderator:

SSeatr

Established Member
finally ive been trying to hear what the fr500 cams sound..i like it but it sounds like your too close and muffles the microphone...hows the power with the setup?

id like to get 400rwhp before i put my blower on!! that would be just awesome 600+rwhp at 11-12psi i wanty

Last edited:

99svtvert

SSeatr said:
finally ive been trying to hear what the fr500 cams sound..i like it but it sounds like your too close and muffles the microphone...hows the power with the setup?

id like to get 400rwhp before i put my blower on!! that would be just awesome 600+rwhp at 11-12psi i wanty

Even thought the FR500 is not nornally considered the ideal setup for SC, when used with together with Paxton Novi 2000 + FR500 Heads + FR500 Cams + High Compression Ratio + FR500 Intake, Westrich made 841 FWHP and 630 FT-LBS at 7200 RPM in Holdener's book.

SSeatr

Established Member
blksnake99 said:
Even thought the FR500 is not nornally considered the ideal setup for SC, when used with together with Paxton Novi 2000 + FR500 Heads + FR500 Cams + High Compression Ratio + FR500 Intake, Westrich made 841 FWHP and 630 FT-LBS at 7200 RPM in Holdener's book.

yeah at what PSI? 20?

Jamie R.

Established Member
That sounds pretty mean!!!! What does your exhaust setup consist of ? That little bit of lope with those cams makes the exhaust really echo or resonate through those mufflers. Man you should'nt post stuff like that because it gives a broke fella like me to many ideas and can't follow through with em' :cryying: Oh yeah are those cams worth any power on a stock '01 or is there a better cam to try?

Jamie R.
'01 Cobra

99svtvert

Exhaust is NOT freeflowing. Consists of JBA Shorties, Mac Catted Pro-Chamber, and FR500 Cat Back which includes a downstream "X". That makes 2 crossovers. The lope is like all Stage II cams I have heard. It rocks the car moderately and sounds meaner and louder than the clip (clip is a disappointment to me).

It is setup that way, so I could pass St. Louis Gateway "tough" emissions test. It did pass, barely.

blksnake99 said:
Exhaust is NOT freeflowing. Consists of JBA Shorties, Mac Catted Pro-Chamber, and FR500 Cat Back which includes a downstream "X". That makes 2 crossovers. The lope is like all Stage II cams I have heard. It rocks the car moderately and sounds meaner and louder than the clip (clip is a disappointment to me).

It is setup that way, so I could pass St. Louis Gateway "tough" emissions test. It did pass, barely.

You just gave me something to think about. How the heck am I supposed to find out if the FR500 is going to make me fail an emmissions or noise level test in NJ? Should tuners know if these type of setups are going to pass inspection?

99svtvert

Noise is fairly sedate but lopey (but I don't have LT's or catless crossover either). Emissions should be OK with Cats well lit up. It simply cannot be tougher than Gateway Emmisions (St. Louis). We are the toughest in the US, I hear. But, I went in with a very lean tune, and cleared codes, then changed it after the test.

FR500 cams do not have the exhaust duration of Crower and Comp Satge 2, I don't think ?? Someone help me here, I can't find the numbers.

explicit_auto

Established Member
blksnake99 said:
For those who have asked, I tried to record the the exhaust from about 8-10 feet behind the rear bumper this afternoon. To cut down on filesize I deleted the video portion (which have found out is required at Google). Posting of an audio/video is new to me. Idle is 900-910 RPM.

Remember, this is a 4.6; 99 Cobra; FR500 Heads, FR500 Cams, FR500 Intake, JBA Shorties, Mac Prochamber with Cats, and FR500 Catback. So, it has 2 crossovers.

I reality it is louder than the clip shows and deeper but that is hard to capture on a cheap Video camera. With LT's and a Catless Crossover, I think it would be realy loud; like Nazman's.

ca13.jpg

Sound file ==> Click link below

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7129875640154894001

Sounds awesome!! did you resuse your stock injectors?

99svtvert

No I did not use 24#s. 34#'s are recommended with this engine (and are supplied with the 5.0 Cammer). They are expensive ($300+), so I used 03-04 Cobra 39's which I got on EBAY 8/$100. If I use a 100/150 Shot Wet, I am sure I will be glad I have 39's.

Users who are viewing this thread