foxbody coyote swap advice

Ill_W1N

Established Member
So I'm debating on selling my 13 gt500 and going the foxbody route with a coyote swap. Only problem is I want a very clean 93 cobra foxbody with only 20+k miles on it that is all original so I don't have to worry about paint or interior or prior abuse to the car. I found one for low 20k's. I'm not too sure on keeping the gt500 because I can't mod it and don't want to. 1 it has weak rods and even bolt on's are gambling, and two it's fun how it is. But before this car I had 12 gt with a tvs and it was a very fun and faster car and could be modified without worrying about a 20k motor if it blew. Plus I could work on it with no worries about originality. I know that sounds contradicting with wanting to swap an original 93 cobra, but finding a clean one is very hard without low miles. selling the gt500 would finance this build along with the 65 fastback I already have with upgrades and keep me busy in my down time, which this car doesn't do.

So basically I'm just looking for advice on what you guys think of going this route.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
buy a clean fox roller. they are all over the place. this way you have a clean sheet to build on. get a junkyard coyote or one from frpp. the parts are out there and it can be done reasonable if you are willing to be patient. I'm putting a coyote in my Notch right now

jaxbusa

Established Member
You are going to have so much money tied up in that Fox doing it the way you're asking. You have a cool car now. It sounds like you just want a tinker toy. Like KingBlack said, buy a roller and be patient. It has been awhile since I priced it out, but I chose not to do it. The cost of a fuel system, computer, headers, motor, trans, and the brackets to let me keep my front accessories was just too much for me to end up with 400 hp. And what are you going to do when that's not enough?

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
There are only 4xxx 93 Cobras and low mileage ones are appreciating at a decent rate as us 40-50 year olds can now afford what we dreamed of in 93. My opinion is that the modding of a nice clean 93 cobra will ruin it. Perhaps start with a 4 cylinder or roller? Or using round numbers, 20+for cobra, 10-15k for a new coyote, with electronics, gives you a good budget of 30-35k to find something done, vs altering a stock cobra. Sorry for the downer, but I'm a big fan of stock cars, especially foxes.

Last edited:

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Nothing special about the '93 Cobra bodies except one will cost you a bundle. As was suggested, find a super clean fox hatch to start with and go from there. Be prepared to spend some money though. Try to get a 15+ coyote so you get the forged internals. Good luck!

Zemedici

Established Member
Yeah man if you could ditch the idea of wanting a 93 cobra, this swap can be done relatively inexpensively. However, starting off with a 25k 'shell'.......

Just snag up a clean notch shell that someone already did this shit with, should be relatively easy to find, and 1/3 the price.

And what's the reason for not wanting to mod the Trinity? The bad California gas?

Users who are viewing this thread