Fox sra swap?

nelzsvt

Established Member
I've got a question for the sra swap guys. Is there any reason to choose a new edge rear over a fox rear? I know about the brake differences, but are there other reasons? Maybe track width? The reason I ask is I am the owner of a fox rear with an auburn limited slip geared at 3.27 or 3.55, I'm not sure which. It also has a cobra brake conversion kit on it. I would like to find someone willing to trade for irs. If I don't, then my 1985 ltd station wagon will have to settle for a sra. Which is not a BIG deal.
picture.php
picture.php

po-po 5.0

Established Member
Track width on a fox is significantly narrower than our cars. Like, 1.25" IIRC. You'll have to run bolt-on wheel spacers to get everything to look right out back.

It's been done. My old '99 had a 96-98 housing with the spacers.

EDIT:

just to clear things up:

79-98 8.8 housings are all the same width

79-93 length axles are 1.25" shorter

94-98 length axles are .75" shorter

Last edited:

nelzsvt

Established Member
Track width on a fox is significantly narrower than our cars. Like, 1.25" IIRC. You'll have to run bolt-on wheel spacers to get everything to look right out back.

It's been done. My old '99 had a 96-98 housing with the spacers.

EDIT:

just to clear things up:

79-98 8.8 housings are all the same width

79-93 length axles are 1.25" shorter

94-98 length axles are .75" shorter

Thanks for the info! What about the cobra brake conversion from back in the day? The conversion came with axles and may be wider, right?

po-po 5.0

Established Member
Thanks for the info! What about the cobra brake conversion from back in the day? The conversion came with axles and may be wider, right?

If you purchased the FRPP kit, you got 94-98 length axles. Which is why the '93 cobra wheel (real ones) has a different offset than every other fox.

delvin.a

Established Member
If you purchased the FRPP kit, you got 94-98 length axles. Which is why the '93 cobra wheel (real ones) has a different offset than every other fox.

The '93 Cobra wheel is 4-lug and the rear brakes are from the turbo coupe, 1.25" longer I believe or an inch..shit can't remember now. Doesn't matter anyways it's 4-lug

nelzsvt

Established Member
Good info! Thanks! It is an old Ford Racing conversion kit. Complete with master and proportioning valve on firewall, etc.

nelzsvt

Established Member
So what your saying is I'm better off saving and buying outright! Cool beans! I've seen the earlier irs go for as low as $600. It's all gravy!

Users who are viewing this thread