Fox Project

Nebraska_SHO

Established Member
Alright I might be starting a project but I need some words of wisdom or advice to get me motivated.

I have the chance to pick up a 87 coupe and an 86 coupe both 4 bangers both AOD, the 87 is running, the body has some bondo, the doors/trunk lid are missing, the 86 would be the donor car. The seller is selling them as a pair, for $500, I am pretty sure that is an alright deal right? (I work with the guy he is legit and has himself a 351w 92 notch)

This will be my first ford project, I don’t no crap for venders (AOD to t-56, stroker kits, 5.0/5.8, 408) I would like to learn more about each tranny/motor combo I don’t know what will/wont work and how it will all fit together. (I do have lots of local resources a lot of my friends race dirt track and build there own motors my friend is in the process of building a 496ci Nova) I want a mean car 500-600 crank.

Just for fun what combo would you guys go with?

Finally for those who have done this before how long did it take to complete, how much did it cost. Did you set a budget? Get all the parts then put them together or did you do it piece by piece?

Thanks to all who help and thanks for the input.:beer:

Last edited:

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
in the process now, not cheap and not quick. you are behind the power curve because you are starting from scratch. my combo is a built 347 using rh new boss302 block, afr 205 heads and a custom comp cam. we are hoping to make 425 to the wheels on motor. you do have a good deal with the 2 coupes but using the 86 as a donor for the 87 does not make much sense. the simplest thing you can do is find a wrecked 5.0 and just swap it all over, then sell that one to finance the other. if you decide this is something that is beyond what you had in mind please pm me the information because i would love to do an 86 as the next coupe. good luck!

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
i say you build a stock stroke/largest bore BOSS302 based engine so you can rev it to about 8000RPM, then toss an HPPerformance turbo system on it! back that with a T56, since clutchless trannies are for wusses, and an 8.8 with an auburn ECTED diff. those things are cool, they are a limited slip when unlocked and a locker when locked(obviously).

97cobraheaven

Established Member
Well first off...

What is your budget? 600hp isnt cheap

What is your goal, to just say you make 600 horses or do you want to run certain times?

Is this strictly a drag car or do you want some street driveability out of it?

Your best bet without depleting all moneys you may have is a 351w stroked with a power adder

351w block can handle 650-700hp...

...search around for proven combos, in 5.0 mag or MM&FF.

Nebraska_SHO

Established Member
Thanks a bunch guys
Well first off...

What is your budget? 600hp isnt cheap

What is your goal, to just say you make 600 horses or do you want to run certain times?

Is this strictly a drag car or do you want some street driveability out of it?

Your best bet without depleting all moneys you may have is a 351w stroked with a power adder

351w block can handle 650-700hp...

Budget, I would like to stay around $10,000. I dont care what it looks like for now, as long as it goes like hell:burnout: (Will that get me anywere close)

Goal, 500-600 at the crank is problly more realistic with my budget.

Definently a street car, there are no tracks around here for miles. I want to whop on some buddies of mine mainly a pulley/tune/I/E cobra, 200 shot LS1, KBed S197's. Mabey I am going over kill? :shrug:

I would love to have a N/A 408 or a N/A 331

97cobraheaven

Established Member
well, since stated above, you are starting from scratch.

So go with more cubes. 351w w/ good h/c/i combo will throw it down.

331/347 are awesome but you have to get a block somewhere and may as well get a 351

Plus the 351 will give you much more room to grow in the future.

Dont forget you are gonna need a rear end, $10k is plenty to build a strong engine but it will be gone quickly

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
nick5o has his race motor for sale. wfc10 champion, it is a fast motor.

and trust the comment above about the budget, it goes very fast. mine is getting close to completion and i am afraid to add it up.

amorrow

Established Member
No need for a big-block, considering your goal. The best bang-for-the-buck would definitely be a 351W-based stroker if you plan on staying naturally-aspirated. 408W strokers seem to be a popular option for others with goals similar to yours. Personally, I'd mate this to an adequately-built 5-speed manual with a target budget in mind.

However, there's one thing to consider...building a car basically from scratch will ALWAYS cost more than you anticipate. While I restored my '65 to very stringent show standards wrt aesthetics, I took this goal to account in setting my original budget...and that budget still went bye-bye half-way through the restoration. It literally cost me over double what I originally expected...and I stuck with the stock-displacement, iron-head small-block.

83 5oh

Wait, Wait...Thats a Cat?
Established Member
sell me the interior from the 86. lol But seriously i'm with these guys. a 351 would be a nice budget and give you tons of room to grow. But if you wanna stick with a 5.0 a stroker and a little bit of nitrous will get you to where you wanna be. but if you use a stock block your pretty much a time bomb around 500.

oh and if you do get them sell me the interior to the 86.

Users who are viewing this thread