Fox distributor issue

Tyler72

Established Member
Hey guys, working a 75 Bronco in the shop that we have done an EFI swap on using a Fox harness and computer. We have run into a little issue though... Seems we cannot get a decent factory replacement distributor. We borrowed one from one of our buddies that is currently building his engine and got it running fine. We gave him his distributor back and bought a reman from Oreilly's and put it in. While setting the timing (spout unplugged) we noticed that it pulls timing when you rev it up. Didn't think too much about it until we plugged the spout back in and it seemed lazy when we revved it. Stuck the timing light back on it and its still pulling timing. Odd... so we pulled it out and swapped in the OEM one from our buddy and its fine again. Thought we just got a bad distributor the first time so we tried another one. Same thing... Tried another one... same thing. What's going on? Anyone else had this issue? From what I have always seen, the timing cant change with the spout unplugged because the computer doesn't have any control over the timing. Right? We have tried a different module with each distributor and have had no luck...

Any and all ideas are welcome because I'm about to pull my hair out.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
That's weird...have you tried a different brand distributor? Like an MSD? I know some folks have had issues with them (including me in the past) but my current one has been operating fine.

Tyler72

Established Member
Think we may have figured something out... Apparently we've been getting getting auto modules instead of manual ones. Our buddies is a manual. We ordered a new motorcraft manual module that will hopefully be in tomorrow so we can try it.

Users who are viewing this thread