Fox body with 03 engine

EH819

Established Member
I was wondering if it would be possible to install an 03 cobra motor in a 93 fox body? About how much would the swap cost? Is it possible to buy an 03 motor new or would I have to find one out of a wrecked 03 cobra? What else would have to be done? Thanks for any help.

93SVTCobra

Established Member
I actually saw one at the Norwalk FFW last year. Thing was bone stock and ran low 11's. It was VERY impressive. I believe it has since been featured in MM&FF as they were taking photos of it.

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
I have heard of this also. I don't know if they sell the 03 Cobra engine, but I have heard that there will be a 5.0 DOHC for sale through FMS. Now THAT would be sweet in a fox body. You could keep your 5.0 emblems.

ObieFox

Established Member
4V swap to a Fox body can get very expensive. Unless you can do most of the work yourself, you will be looking at between $15,000 - $20,000k to have the conversion done. I have been checking into this for a my '84 Turbo Coupe.

Kevin

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
bah... just pick up a 4.6 tubular K-member to get it to fit...
Since the 5.0 crate motor comes with wiring and a computer, thats one less thing to worry about... Exhaust, and other accessories will raise the cost up a bit

-Homer

EH819

Established Member
Where will the new crate motor be able to be purchased from?

Black93Cobra

Established Member
The Feb '03 issue of MM&FF has an article on Duane Powell's Notchback with '03 Cobra Power. Very sweet indeed!! Now if I could just get one for my track car...

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
Boy those 03 Cobra engines are high on Kar Kraft! I would like to have one of those DOHC 5.4 Navigator engines in a fox!

EH819

Established Member
It would be really hard to fit a lightning engine into a foxbody, right?

ObieFox

Established Member
Width wise you're alright, but that SOB will stick way out of the hood. They are very tall and the induction was designed to fit into the deep engine bays of trucks. Get a big cowl hood an have some fun.

Kevin

ObieFox

Established Member
I don't know for sure. Keep an eye on 5.0 or MM&FF. One of them was doing a project car where they were putting a 5.4 Navigator motor into a '91 lx hatch. I haven't seen an update on it for a few months. Sean Hyland was doing the work in the magazine article. Sean can probably answer you questions.

Kevin

EH819

Established Member
If I did go ahead and put an 03 cobra in a foxbody, would it ever be able to registered as a street car or would it have to be an off-road registered vehicle?

joeclams9

Established Member
Originally posted by EH819
If I did go ahead and put an 03 cobra in a foxbody, would it ever be able to registered as a street car or would it have to be an off-road registered vehicle?

of course u could register it as a street car..i dont know the process..but how many guys have 4 banger stangs with big engines that are registered on the street...my buddy is doin it to save money on insurance...if u do it yours would even been emissions legal and capable of 450+rwhp with just a pulley swap.

its a very cool mod...do it.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
you could register that in probably all 50 states... even california... (maybe) the 4.6 runs a ton cleaner than the 5.0.

If people can register a RWD 4.6 or 5.0 focus, then you will be safe.

-Homer

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
IIRC the 03 motor in a Fox was done by (can't pronounce or spell his name) at Alternative Automotive in S. Michigan

Users who are viewing this thread