Fox Body wheel size

bdenham

04 Cobra
Established Member
I know this is an opinion question, but I bought a 92 GT a week ago and had some questions for you experience fox body owners. First question is are 17" wheels a better fit for these cars? I owned a 02 Gt and a couple of termi's and I used the same set up on all of them (18x9, 18x10, 265/35/18 and 295/35/18), but these are obviously different. I have looked through the forums and have seen pics, etc and in some pics the 18" wheels look good and in some other pics they look to big. The car already has the 5 lug conversion, with Cobra calipers, etc. It has the stock springs as well. Thanks for the help. Also, do you have to roll fenders or anything to get a 10" wide wheel to fit in the rear?

blownfox

Established Member
I see a lot of people running 10'' wide wheels but you might need to get rid of the quad shock, if it is still there. I am currently running 17 x 9 (FR500's) on all four corners, but planning on going 17 x 10 out back.

4valvemach

Established Member
I think 17's look better than 18's but Im not into rims a whole lot give me some 93 cobra rims and Im happy.I do like the 03/04 cobra rims on a fox or the fr500 also.

waiting on PICS of the car :pop:

bdenham

04 Cobra
Established Member
pics

here a couple.

DSC02398.jpg

DSC02396.jpg

greensvt21

retired truckie SFD!
Established Member
17x9's will fit no problem in rear until you go bigger than a 255 then all you do is flip the stock quad shock so it will clear the tires. To make 17x10's fit the quad shocks have to go but unless you invested in really good upper/lower arms and even then you might need a pan hardbar, she is going to wheel hop like a pig. The other things need to do, roll the fenders ( heat the metal a little or the paint will crack) and if running 315's you will also have to pound the inner fender area in with a hammer to make room, also some tail pipes don't clear. I have 17x9 255/40's on the rear of my fox with the quads in the stock local (not flipped) and no other clearance issues, in the front I run 17x8's with the same tire no problems if run a wider rim get rack limiters since they will hit/rub the lower control arms at full lock and the wide tires rub the inner fender a little and full lock also.

bdenham

04 Cobra
Established Member
Springs

Any suggestions on springs? I had eibach sportline on my first cobra and it was to low. On my 04 I got h&R race springs and really liked it. Fox body mustangs seem to have a lower stock height. All 99-04 mustangs come stock with the 4x4 look. I think maybe the eibach pro-kit would give me a good drop?

blownfox

Established Member
I have steeda sport spring.

front wheel 17 x 9 tire 245 45 17
073.jpg

rear wheel 17 x 9 tire 275 40 17
083.jpg

inbetween the 5 lug swap cobra R's in front and FR500's in back.

198.gif

Last edited:

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
if you want some chrome bullitts for it let me know. Ill sell mine for $450 + shipping with tires. They are 18x9 and 18x10

bdenham

04 Cobra
Established Member
nice

That drop looks good. How much did it drop with those springs? You have isloators? My problem is my driveway is steep. I had H&R on my cobra and loved how it looked, but my exhaust scraped bad everytime backed out of my driveway.

4valvemach

Established Member
"BLOWNFOX" what in the hell did you do to the back bumber that has to be some kind of sin to cut it for the exhaust.I do like paint it looks orange or am I being fooled somehow and its red.

You just need to add the 93 cobra rear bumber :beer:

Last edited:

bdenham

04 Cobra
Established Member

If those bullits were anthracite or black I may have taken you up on your offer, although I think I may just wind up keeping my wheels. Blownfox, is the front Cobra R a 17" as well?

blownfox

Established Member
"BLOWNFOX" what in the hell did you do to the back bumber that has to be some kind of sin to cut it for the exhaust.I do like paint it looks orange or am I being fooled somehow and its red.

You just need to add the 93 cobra rear bumber :beer:

It is orange, and I get a lot of crap for that bumper. On a good note I have a cobra bumper and spoiler in the basement, just looking for some tail lights. It will be going to the paint shop early next year! That will be done before I get the 347 in.

blownfox

Established Member
If those bullits were anthracite or black I may have taken you up on your offer, although I think I may just wind up keeping my wheels. Blownfox, is the front Cobra R a 17" as well?

Yep they were 17 x 9...245 45 17 and the rears were 275 40 17.

blownfox

Established Member
That drop looks good. How much did it drop with those springs? You have isloators? My problem is my driveway is steep. I had H&R on my cobra and loved how it looked, but my exhaust scraped bad everytime backed out of my driveway.

The front was lowered about 1" and the rear was 1 1/4". I still have the isolators and I have been very fortunate I have not scraped my exhaust yet. I'm also running long tubes headers.

greensvt21

retired truckie SFD!
Established Member
If you want a drop but still want to have a decent ride and improve the handling think about the springs from the '01 bullitt or even the mach1. The bullitts have more of a drop the the machs but they both ride nice and don't jar your fillings loose and improve the handling over the stock fox springs. I'm running the bullitt springs and love them.

bdenham

04 Cobra
Established Member
?

I am not so much worried about driveability as I am driving up my driveway (it has a steep entrance). I have had eibach & h&r on previous cars. On my termi my exhaust would scrape and I slightly would rub the plastic piece under my bumper everytime (it's kind of like a little chin spoiler). That was with H&R race springs with no isolators. I didn't really care about rubbing it because you couldn't see it, but on these fox bodies, theres nothing there except your bumpers and I don't want to freaking scrape it! I know the front bumper on the 92GT is considerably higher than the Cobra (atleast 4") so I have more clearance, but rear seams flatter. hell, I don't know. Maybe I am worried about nothing. Anyone else have a steep driveway with their fox lowered, that could shed some info?

Users who are viewing this thread