Fox body suspension upgrades, suggestions needed

whistling88fox

Established Member
So I'm in the market for new shocks and springs for my 88 fox, the ride is bad enough where the car is almost not fun to drive and really doesn't seem to handle that great either. What I have right now that the previous owner installed are Eibach prokit springs (front and rear), KYB GR2 struts up front and some blue shocks (no name on them) in the rear and MAC Caster Camber plates. The issues I'm having are when I turn the wheel all the way right or left my front tires rub the splash guard I'm assuming. Sometimes when I get on the brakes hard or turn right hard I hear a loud grinding sound (not sure how to describe it) almost sounds like its from the rear but not certain. The ride is super harsh and noisey, I feel every pebble in the road and I just dont dig the stance, sits VERY low in the front and pretty high in the rear. I want it to sit pretty much level and have a little more ground clearance up front, this is what I'm working with right now after installing BBK longtube headers ground clearance wise.
shocks016.jpg

Here's what the current ride height looks like, looks decent but I cant even drive my car up onto my ramps for an oil change
sc881.jpg

I'm not looking for ultimate racecar handling or being able to hook so hard I pop wheelies off the line, just a setup with a decent ride that wont bruise my kidneys while driving lol. As far as other aftermarket parts that the previous owner installed it has some red lower control arms (not sure on brand) I believe stock upper control arms, BBK subframe connectors, panhard rod and this thing, I guess an anti roll bar in the back
shocks037.jpg

whistling88fox

Established Member
I guess I should have looked a little harder but I'm not sure if the car has spring isolators in the front and rear, I'm guessing it doesn't with as harsh as the ride is and as low as it sits. A pretty knowledgable guy from another forum suggested these parts for me what do ya''ll think: BBK progressive springs, Lakewood 90/10 front struts, strange adjustable rear shocks and energy suspension poly isolators

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
That depends. Are you interested in drag, track, or street use? 90/10's are great for drag, but to soft to take a corner.

I have KYB's/eibach pro's on my car now, and it rides fine. It's stiff, but not uncomfortable. However, I'm int eh process of switching over to a full Maximum Motorsports setup, which should be a dramatic improvement.

If you really want to do it right, pick your poison (street, strip, or track), pick a brand (MM, Steeda, Kenny Brown, Griggs, etc) then switch it all out. Your best bet is to stick with stuff that was designed to work together, not mixing and matching various brands.

whistling88fox

Established Member
I guess I care a little more about handling and ride comfort than I do about being able to dead hook, the nearest track to me is about 2 hours away, not saying I'll never go but this car will rarely see a drag strip. As far as my budget I'm not looking to spend thousands maybe 600-800 bucks, buy the proper tools and install the parts myself

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
The first thing I'd do then is get a set of quality shocks...like Koni or Tokico's. Koni STR.T's are a pretty good street shock, I had them on my 2011GT and was extremely pleased with them.

After you swap your shocks out, if the ride is still to harsh, you can try a softer spring rate, but shocks would be the first thing I'd replace. Check your bushings too, make sure they aren't worn, or damaged.

The wheels rubbing are likely just a function of the wheel width/offset and tire size. The only thing you can do about that is either get some rack limiters to avoid contact, or change out the wheels/tires. Make sure it's the tire hitting the control arm that you are feeling though..it might just be rubbing on the fender liner. It looks like they are pretty close in the pictures. That could also be what you are hearing when you hit the brakes hard...the tires hitting the inner fender liner. Check for marks.

whistling88fox

Established Member
Yea I was sort of thinking that too, just replace the shocks first and see how it works out. Does the picture seem a little low for eicach prokit springs? I'm just going with what the previous owner told me I thought the prokits were for more of a mild drop, this thing is pretty slammed in the front will spring isolators add any height? I'd really like just a tad bit more clearance for my longtubes

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
If I remember, the pro-kit is about a 2 1/2" drop. So that's about right I'd think. The isolators will get you a little more clearance, but not a bunch..probably about 1/2" up front, less in the rear.

wheelhopper

Established Member
A lot of factors determine the ride and handling. What size tires are you running all around?

I would probably ditch the Eibach springs. Get yourself a set of H&R race. You may like the Super Sports better for the ride but they sit lower and you may have ground clearance issues. A set of Tokico Blues all around would work well and are reasonably priced. You may want to get some steering rack limiters for the front. Ford Racing has them, they are cheap and easy to install. They basically will reduce your steering range just enough to prevent tire rub at full lock.

What control arms are you running in the rear?

blacksheep-1

Established Member
You might be grinding the rims against the sway bar on full lock or full lock /hard braking that's pretty common on SN95 and New Edges, i'm not sure about foxes.
and IMO toss the panhard bar (and keep the stock upper control arms) until you can get a truck arm or something, that's probably 80% of the ride harshness.

In fact, since it's a free mod, make sure that somebody hasn't removed one of the upper control arms, then just remove the panhard bar and see the difference that makes. Should take about 10 minutes.

Last edited:

whistling88fox

Established Member
Wheelhopper-i have 245/50 tires and 16" wheels, not sure on the lower control arms I just know they're red and have grease fittings, I recently greased them for shits and giggles all it did was make them squeak a bunch lol

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Blacksheep- before I do that would it be helpful if I try and take video of the sound so you can hear what I'm talking about?

Removing the panhard bar won't do anything except free up the rear and it may actually lower the rear of the car. If it is adjusted correctly you should just be able to undo the heim joints and pull it straight off..but I'm guessing it isn't.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I run tires as large as 255 40 17 on 17x8 wheels. I had to add the steering rack limiters to keep the tires from rubbing the front sway bar. Sounds like the control arms are a LMR or Mac standard type. The panhard bar you should be fine with stock upper control arms as long as it is installed correctlly.

Spring iso's don't affect ride, it may make things a bit noisier and dramatically reduce ride height.

whistling88fox

Established Member
What do you guys think of ford racing be springs? The price is good, I like that they're a progressive spring and would definitely give me more clearance up front

jfsram

Established Member
The Ford B springs are a softer spring. You will gain ride quality back but the softer spring will allow more body roll so you will lose handling.

vfast

Established Member
you can just put a set of 4 banger front spings in drop is about 1.5" and people give them away..why not look at some coilovers? i run a 70/30 front and a 50/50 lakewoods one 1 car..it all depends on your wallet to where you go...one of my stangs i run 240/50/16 allway around with Tokico's adjustables..

Users who are viewing this thread