Fox Body Springs, help please?

cdjohns

Established Member
well, i am kinda new to the Fox Bodies as i just got one back in April. well, like most it sets up pretty high and really doesn't ride good. well, ride good compared to what i like. anyway, my question is this, i am looking for some Eibach Sportline springs and i have found some on Ebay alittle cheaper than buying from a dealer or somewhere else, but they are listed as being for a 87-93 Cobra. I know the Cobra didn't run 87-93 either. So, are the springs on the 87-93 Foxes and the Cobra, the same? i mean will the springs work for my car? mine is a 92 GT. thanks in advance for your help.

Chris

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
Eibach has springs listed from 79-93 Fox bodies... Hatchbacks and coupes. All being the same part number (#3510-140 pro-kit) (4.1035 sportlines) the only different springs are for convertibles. Seems the Cobra and GT/coupes are all the same part numbers

got hp

SVT Connoisseur
Established Member
the springs will fit all Fox body stangs. There was a difference in the rear springs on the 93 Cobra vs. the 5.0 brothers. Fronts were the same. You could always install the Bullitt springs for some drop and stiffer but comfortable ride. I got mine from PPI www.performancepartsinc.com

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
so what was the difference in the rear springs? Where the Cobras' lower then the stock 5.0?
Cause the advertised drop is 1.2 front and 1.0" rear. And if the Cobra's rears came from the factory lower then the GT's, I guess I should buy Sportlines for the rear since they advertised 1.5" in the rear and the pro-kit for the front 1.2" drop. I would like my car to sit level. And I wouldn't want to cut the coil

Last edited:

Titanium 5.0

Oh Oh.. 5.0!
Established Member
Im currently running Steeda Sport springs (1.5 in drop for the front and 1.2 in the back) with 17" Cobra R's. Hope you can get an idea.

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
fivestangs said:
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but, I believe the '93 Cobra rear springs were actually the rears from the 4-cylinder models.

So does that mean they had a lower ride height?

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
fivestangs said:
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but, I believe the '93 Cobra rear springs were actually the rears from the 4-cylinder models.

Bingo!!!

Titanium, mm mmm mmm... God I love that color. Titanium Frost... That color is awesome. The car looks good man!

got hp

SVT Connoisseur
Established Member
they weren't any lower than the 5.0L cars. If anything, they might have actually been higher in the rear. If you are buying lowering springs, treat the Cobra just as you would any other 5.0 fox.

They were 4cyl springs in the rear of the 93 Cobra BTW.

Titanium 5.0

Oh Oh.. 5.0!
Established Member
Goodson said:
Bingo!!!

Titanium, mm mmm mmm... God I love that color. Titanium Frost... That color is awesome. The car looks good man!

Thanks bud! Would you mind posting some pics of your 4-eyed ? Judging by your avatar it looks :bowdown:

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
Titanium 5.0 said:
Thanks bud! Would you mind posting some pics of your 4-eyed ? Judging by your avatar it looks :bowdown:

Why no! I don't mind being a pic whore. ;) It does need a new paint job. The guy who painted it 11 years ago did it in the middle of winter and the clearcoat is separating. I'm glad I didn't pay for it. :-D

162751.jpg

172762.jpg

There's a woman here locally who has a bone stock Titanium Frost 91 GT that I see from time to time. She used to drive it every day about 6 years ago. I used to think to myself "Man I wish she'd put a For Sale sign in that car!" I really do love that color. I like the silver on my 85 and the titanium on yours. They're pretty hard to screw up washing them. Black cars suck to wash. One wrong breath and you've got swirl marks. Ask me how I know. :lol:

Last edited:

cdjohns

Established Member
hey guys. thanks alot for the help and good info. now that i think about it i did read that the Cobra's did have the 4-cylinder springs, i think, if i remember correctly, they are slightly softer than in the GT's. don't hold me to that though. but anyway, i am looking to lower mine pretty good. i don't know if anyone has heard of Delk Performance in Lebanon, TN, but i live close by and i talked to those guys and they recommended the sportlines to me. they said they give more of a drop and ride. also, those Foxies you guys have are really nice! i hope to get mine there at some point. i am starting to do stuff alittle at a time though. thanks again.

Chris

cdjohns

Established Member
got hp said:
the springs will fit all Fox body stangs. There was a difference in the rear springs on the 93 Cobra vs. the 5.0 brothers. Fronts were the same. You could always install the Bullitt springs for some drop and stiffer but comfortable ride. I got mine from PPI www.performancepartsinc.com

so, what would the difference be in Bullit springs vs. the Eibach Sportlines? will the Bullits give the same drop? also, for anyone to answer, what about the Mach 1 springs and such? on that site there, they have a set of springs, struts, and shocks. not a bad deal really. i am needing all of that, too. lol. dang rears are wore out! we like to call her squishy butt.

got hp

SVT Connoisseur
Established Member
the drop with the bullitts is about an inch all around. I can't say what it would be with the mach 1 springs but that car had a heavier engine so I would think that the springs would be stiffer. I think the Eibach would definately be lower if that is what you are looking for.

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
I know of Delk Performance. I remember when they were still down in Murfreesboro. I almost bought a set of chromed 93 Cobra wheels from them back in 1999. The Bullitt springs aren't going to give you as much drop as the Sportlines as got hp eluded to. The one thing that I'll say is that the springs determine as much of the ride comfort as the shocks and struts. They need to match up well. It's all relative though. It depends mostly on your perspective of rough. But if you've got race springs with stock shocks in the car they'll ride rough and if you've got race shocks with stock springs the car will ride rough. A good match is what you want.

Titanium 5.0

Oh Oh.. 5.0!
Established Member
Goodson said:
Why no! I don't mind being a pic whore. ;) It does need a new paint job. The guy who painted it 11 years ago did it in the middle of winter and the clearcoat is separating. I'm glad I didn't pay for it. :-D

162751.jpg

172762.jpg

There's a woman here locally who has a bone stock Titanium Frost 91 GT that I see from time to time. She used to drive it every day about 6 years ago. I used to think to myself "Man I wish she'd put a For Sale sign in that car!" I really do love that color. I like the silver on my 85 and the titanium on yours. They're pretty hard to screw up washing them. Black cars suck to wash. One wrong breath and you've got swirl marks. Ask me how I know. :lol:

:coolman: Hold on to that 88 there, that thing is sweet. Its a great color, but like you said a pita to keep clean. Its hard to believe that its getting harder and harder to find a clean fox around. I've read a couple of magazine articles commenting on the now "classic" lines of the foxbody, when it seems just yesterday these were the hot items :( There's only one thing better than 1 pic whore and that's 2 pic whores :beer:

Here's a couple more shots.

cdjohns

Established Member
Goodson said:
I know of Delk Performance. I remember when they were still down in Murfreesboro. I almost bought a set of chromed 93 Cobra wheels from them back in 1999. The Bullitt springs aren't going to give you as much drop as the Sportlines as got hp eluded to. The one thing that I'll say is that the springs determine as much of the ride comfort as the shocks and struts. They need to match up well. It's all relative though. It depends mostly on your perspective of rough. But if you've got race springs with stock shocks in the car they'll ride rough and if you've got race shocks with stock springs the car will ride rough. A good match is what you want.

yeah, i know what you mean about matching them up. the guys at Delk recommended the Sportlines with Tokico shocks, either the 5-way Adjustable Ilumina or the Non-adjustable one. Me, i'm not really looking for any adjusting. i do enough of that on my four wheeler. i like the Tokico's, but i was looking at maybe some KYB GR-2's or Gas-A-Just shocks and struts, what do you guys think? anyone use the KYB's very much? i have some friends that use them on other vehicles and they seem great, 69 Chevelle (Pro touring), 89 Supra, etc. i was just looking at not spend quite so much on shocks cause right not i am 3 linking it in the rear. i bought the car and one of the uppers on the right ride was broke, lol. it drives fine, only you can feel it move around some when i;m on and off the throttle and shifting. oh i can't turn to fast or hard or the tires rub alittle. lol. so i was going to get some UPR controls arms complete uppers and lowers to just replace the stock ones, plus a was looking and most all the bushings are wore out pretty good.

anyway, thanks for all the help again, to everyone.

Chris

Oh and Titanium 5.0 and Goodson, REAL nice Foxies ya'll have! i hope mine can look as good as Titanium 5.0's some day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread