Found something very wierd on my engine, WTF!

BTSMUSTANG

Established Member
4705507286_ca77aeba1e_b.jpg
While changing the oil on my 99 cobra I noticed something very very wierd, on the driver side motor mount the rear bolt is missing and there is no hole in the block for a bolt to go into. WTF!! Is this some error in manufacturing, this cant be normal, anyone seen this before?

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
There is a hole, the bolt just broke on the block, there's a marking on the mount where there was a bolt ones holding it. Might need to take off the K-memeber and drill the bolt out and retap the threads or if you can accomplish in that tight space.

wildride02gt

Established Member
yup, broke it. another option from 99cobra09's is to unbolt the motor from the mounts, lift motor with a jack, remove mount, then see if you have the room to get that bolt out. I did this on a 5,0 years ago in the driveway, not a lot of room, but made it work.

venumissvt

Established Member
aw man. mine did the same thing. it even went as far as the hole mount coming loose. groundstrap came off and the exhaust was grounding my car!! locktite and new bolts man.

BTSMUSTANG

Established Member
Its broken, dangit, yeah I can see the impression. Not looking forward to getting that out.

Yeah the head gasket is seeping, I bought the car two years ago this october, the previous owner was running standard oil in it. I switched over to synthetic and the heads started to seep, the passenger side is seeping as well. Now I am running synthetic blend, dont want to go back to standard oil but maybe that will stop the leaking?

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
The area around the head gasket on both sides of my '99 look the same as yours, some minor seepage, but nothing to show that it's been pouring out. Definitely a broken bolt on the motor mounts, I swapped in some new mounts when I replaced the factory k-member a few months ago. If you're looking to do any sort of k-member/suspension/exhaust work, now would be a great time to drop everything from the below the engine, get the broken bolt out, and put some new stuff up under there.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread