Found some 03 Cobra's...

cooltool

Established Member
I managed to locate some 03 Cobra's in my area... So my question is... What is a reasonable deal? I mean... How much should I expect to pay (including Tax and license) out the door? Any advice would be appreciated... I might go look at one tomorrow.

03snakerush

Established Member
Bay Area, Coupes about $30,500.00
Verts about $ 33,500.00
But anywhere else? Who knows, I've seen more lies than truthes posted when it comes to prices on Cobras. GOOD LUCK!:beer:

cooltool

Established Member
Originally posted by 03snakerush
Bay Area, Coupes about $30,500.00
Verts about $ 33,500.00
But anywhere else? Who knows, I've seen more lies than truthes posted when it comes to prices on Cobras. GOOD LUCK!:beer:

Thanks a lot... I do appreciate it. I guess I'll have to see what happens.

bborder

Established Member
Contact me if you're looking for a convertible.. I've got 3 of them available right now. 1 Sonic Blue and 2 white ones.

Todd03Blown

Established Member
bborder....are your 03's new? My dad is likely in the market for an 03 vert, he was looking at the tbirds but I talked him out of that as they don't have enough power. Send me a PM if these are new 03's so we can talk pricing.

black10th

Clutch killer
Established Member
FORD BOOSTS YOUR BUYING POWER TOWARD
PURCHASE OF '03 SVT COBRA

Mustang performance enthusiasts, take note! If you have ever considered owning the supercharged 390-horsepower SVT Mustang Cobra, now is the time to make the dream become a reality.

Ford has announced a very rare opportunity for you to purchase a factory-built, limited-production high-performance SVT Mustang Cobra at a discounted price for a limited time. This special offer consists of your choice of $1,500 Customer Cash back OR Ford Credit financing as low as 1.9% APR on any 2003 SVT Mustang Cobra Coupe purchased by March 31, 2004. If you're in the market for an SVT Mustang Cobra Convertible, you can take an extra $1,500 in Bonus Cash on the deal -- that's a total of $3,000 cash back on the Cobra droptop! (Not all buyers qualify for Ford Credit limited-term APR financing, so see your Ford SVT dealer for qualifications and complete program details.)

Cash-back deals and special financing are rarely available on Ford Special Vehicle Team products, so there may never be another opportunity quite like this. Production of the 2004 model-year SVT Mustang Cobra is in full swing and units continue to be shipped to SVT-certified Ford dealers across the country, so this offer is being made only on the few remaining 2003's still in dealer stock. Because even fewer SVT Mustang Cobras are scheduled to be produced for 2004, when the 2003's are gone, this special offer is gone.

1992B4C

Established Member
Try to buy them at A or D plan. They are over a year old now so some dealers are willing to give up some pins. Mine was in Nov when i bought mine. I paid 28,800 for mine. The dealer I bought mine at in Scottsdale Arizona has a 10th anniv vert left and a few others. At least one coupe as well. If interested I can give you the salesman I dealt with, maybe he can hook you up. LMK if your willing to go to Arizona for one.

tv's 03

Established Member
In St. Louis no one would do a A or D plan without a PIN.

The best off I got was still over $32000 before the $1500 for a coupe

With the $3000 off on the Vert, a vert can be had for near the same price as a coupe.

It not a good idea to buy a new coupe right now IMHO. The KBB trade in is just over $25000 right now. I was unwilling to lose $5000 just for signing the deal. Most dealers are unwilling to do much less than invoice. I searched around Kansas City and Chicago looking for a better deal as well with no success.

Its not really the dealers faults I guess, they are in business to make money. A few said we can't lose that kind of money on them, and my replay was how are you losing money when just last year these cars had a $5000 mark up when I checked? That was met with a blank stare.

But Ford should be offer way more than $1500 off imho.

A vert is a different story, they are more plentiful and are being discounted more, I just did not want a vert.

1CEBITN

Blue by you!
Established Member
You lose at least $5k just for driving any new car off the lot, especially if you pay close to MSRP. Go buy an 04 Cobra and try to trade it in somewhere else, you wont get anywhere near what you paid for it new. They will offer you at least 5 grand less than you paid for it, especially since dealers are sticking closer to MSRP on the 04s right now.

It doesn't really matter what KBB trade in value is, look at the person to person value. It is in the $26-28k range, depending on mileage. I bought mine for $29k over labor day when they were doing the $3k rebates (X-plan). At that time, you couldn't find a used one for sale anywhere in the country for that price with less than 5k miles on it. Mine had 16 on the odometer. Cars are not good investments no matter how you slice it. If you want a car that holds resale, go buy a BMW or Honda...

tv's 03

Established Member
1CEBITN, look at the market value, trade in or otherwise of a 04 at invoice vs a 03 at invoice. You will see that it makes more sense to buy a 04 coupe right now, even with the $1500 cash back on the 03 coupe

I just did not want that big of a payment. I bought used and bet I could get close to what I paid on trade in or selling it myself even more

So I just do what I am comfortable with. I am not comfortable taking a big hit right away on a new 03. The hit on a new 04 is not as bad immediately even after the $1500 rebate. I was just offering my opinion, you don't have to share it

There is not enough information to verify this on an 04. But I would be willing to bet that you will not take an immediate $5000 hit on a 04. I was offered invoice on a 04, not msrp. You can get them for invoice. This is about 33500. Now tell me that a trade would only get you $28500 on a 04. I bet you would get at least 30500 on trade for a low mile 04. To me that makes more sense than buying a 03 and only saving $1500 over a 04, which was the case in my experience on a coupe. The verts were a different story

I do investments for a living and I certainly do not consider a car an investment, but I did weight out what made the most sense financially and did not let the lure of a new car outweight the financial benefits of such a decision.

Don't blame me for doing my homework and forming an opinion. It was just my opinion that based on the cars "market value" and the puchase price that the $1500 cash back on a coupe was not enough for a 1 year old car. If the cash back was $3000 on the coupe, i would have bought new without a doubt. It was just a matter of how big of a perceived hit I would take. A new 04 or a used 03 was what I found to be best right now thats all.

Cars generally lose the greatest percentage during the first two years, and then your loan tends to go down faster than the depreciation from there. The further you hurt yourself in the beginning, the longer it takes to finally build equity in a car. Since the future is uncertain, I tend to prefer to reduce my risks as much as possible on depreciable assets.

1CEBITN

Blue by you!
Established Member
tv's 03,
IF you can get an 04 around invoice then you may be right. I never buy a car for more than invoice b/c of the big hit you take when you drive off the lot, much like you, we agree there. Another thing we agree on is getting equity in the car asap. Unless you pay it off in three years, it is hard to do though. Where we start to divide is here: I highly doubt any dealer would give you more than $29k on trade even with low miles, especially with new 03s on the lots still and here is why.

Right now you can easily get a 03 coupe for $30k or less with rebates. Dealers are not going to pay you more for an 04 on trade than they are selling their NEW 03s for. They couldn't make any money if they gave you more than $30k on trade. That would mean they would try to sell the car for at least $32k or more. Would you buy a used 04 when a new 03 is sitting on the lot for $2k or more less? Once the 03s are completely sold out, that might change though.

My original post was looking at it more from an average perspective, most 04 owners have paid between $34 and $35k for their cars new. An 03 can be had for around $30k pretty easily right now with the rebates, some are getting them as low as $28k. Keep in mind that invoice on an 04 is about $1k more than invoice on an 03 (gas guzzler was pushed into the price of the 04) so, at invoice, with the rebates on the 03 you start out $2500 in the hole on the 04. But the 03 is a year older so there is more in depreciation working against it. More data is needed to determine if that $2500 overcomes that or not.

Here is the way I looked at it, though. If you are the average 04 buyer who spent $34k and you need to trade it in in 6 months with a few thousand miles on it, you would take the $5k hit (or more) on trade, I guarantee it for reasons explained above. If you spent $30k on the 03 and sell it 6 months later with a few thousand miles on it, you will probably be able to get $25k on trade pretty easily so they even out imho.

You are right though, if you can get the car for invoice or less, it makes sense to buy the 04 but the best deal has always been a used 03. I don't think we disagree, and it sounds like you approached the deal the same way I did. When I bought mine in early Sept, 03 for $29k you couldn't find a used one that cheap in the area. Anyway, I don't disagree with you, I just wasn't aware you were buying the 04 at invoice price. I still felt the need to explain myself though...

tv's 03

Established Member
Yea, also your assumption that you can get a new 03 for 28-29 is wrong, at least in my area. I tried for a month. I had dealers from three cities bidding and not one...I repeat not one, was willing to sell a 03 for much less than invoice. Every single initial quote I received was $1000 over invoice.:eek:

I had other dealers, who consequently were out of 03 coupes, offer invoice on a 04. So basically the cost difference between a 04 and 03 would have been the rebate($1500) for me. It made more sense to buy a 04, unless you think that $1500 rebate is a bargin. I did not, and felt the market value of the 03 was already less than that of an 04 even with the $1500 rebate. Plus, it was just more than I wanted to spend. I even sat down at one dealer and walked out. It was disappointing to have to give up on the new 03. But i will not look back. I am going to enjoy my used 03 to the fullest.

Plus I actually lowered my payment from my 01 cobra by $40;) So I got more power and a lower payment...it was a win win for me to buy used. I have never had much trouble with used cobras anyway. I was not scared. Plus the thing already had the tick recall performed...so thats less time mine will be in the shop

There are a few nicks, scuffs, tire wear ect but $5000 worth...no way. The car is mostly like new anyway. I prefer to let someone else take that initial depreciation.

in fact it was reading posts here by some folks that claimed that a new 03 could be had for 28,000 that made me even start looking at new 03's. But I quickly found that that was a pipe dream and was not gonna happen, or I would have a new 03 right now instead of a used one.

Then when I questioned a few of them I found there was more to it than they initiially let on. Like the number of vehicles that they had already purchased from that dealer. It was a bit disappointing, the lure of a new car was strong, but I have to remain objective.

I thought of waiting until the end of the month, but the terminator was calling me, I could not resist any longer. I got a good deal too, so ...time to have some fun

cooltool

Established Member
Thanks for all the info guys... I am leaving work early today, to go look at a couple of 03's in Sacramento. See what happens:shrug: ...

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
bborder do you work @ Galpin? If so I was the one with the black 03 vert with the HID lighting

Users who are viewing this thread