Found out what's making the "clicking noise"... Loose Crank Pulley?.. Help needed

JSHTROD

Established Member
Well...

For about 5k miles, the car has been making a strange clicking noise. Sounded like it came from the front of the motor, and I have never been able to find the source of it.

It was loudest at idle, and once revved up, it would completely go away.

Well... the other night, I had the car on rhino ramps, tightening the exhaust system. I decided to run it, with the nose in the air, and see if I could locate the source of the sound.

I found it. The crank pulley that drives the supercharger WOBBLES. It's a little tiny bit loose, and when you rev the car, the wobble stops, but at idle, it wobbles a little.

After crawling under the car and looking around, it's just the pulley that drives the supercharger. The other crank pulley seems fine.

Now that I think about it, this all started when I shredded a belt.

:shrug:

Anybody have this problem?

:poke:

RDSZ

600+HP
Established Member
JSHTROD said:
Well...

For about 5k miles, the car has been making a strange clicking noise. Sounded like it came from the front of the motor, and I have never been able to find the source of it.

It was loudest at idle, and once revved up, it would completely go away.

Well... the other night, I had the car on rhino ramps, tightening the exhaust system. I decided to run it, with the nose in the air, and see if I could locate the source of the sound.

I found it. The crank pulley that drives the supercharger WOBBLES. It's a little tiny bit loose, and when you rev the car, the wobble stops, but at idle, it wobbles a little.

After crawling under the car and looking around, it's just the pulley that drives the supercharger. The other crank pulley seems fine.

Now that I think about it, this all started when I shredded a belt.

Anybody have this problem?

:poke:

Well if it is the crack pulley you are referring I had the same problem, it had a wobble and a grinding noise. I had it replace with a spare comming from another cobra. I also had about 5000 miles when that happen. The mechanic told me it was probably defective from factory.

JSHTROD

Established Member
RDSZ said:
Well if it is the crack pulley you are referring I had the same problem, it had a wobble and a grinding noise. I had it replace with a spare comming from another cobra. I also had about 5000 miles when that happen. The mechanic told me it was probably defective from factory.

So you simply replaced the whole thing? Problem solved?

:)

RDSZ

600+HP
Established Member
JSHTROD said:
So you simply replaced the whole thing? Problem solved?

:)

Yes I had it replace by a mustang shop and no problems so far, I also think you might have the same problem. I also posted the same problem here and no one seems to know anything about it. I also try to replace the crank pulley by myself but could not brake the bolt loose so I gave up. Hope that helps.

JSHTROD

Established Member
FordFreak4.6 said:
Funny cause it sounds like you are describing the head tick.

I know. Although I have heard the tick, and this is not it.

I think when anybody on here describes a strange sound, people automatically assume it's the tick.

Tat03Cobra

Established Member
Doesnt the crank pulley have the dampner (harmonic balancer) built in? it did on my 98 cobra anyways - and mine was loose after doing a steeda pulley install..use to sound like a diesel at idle till i tightened it.

peace

KENZILLA

Well ya, Its fast!
Established Member
Had to replace mine after i shredded a belt also. I replaced it with all metco parts. The factory piece was 450 bucks and the metco was like 380 or 400. Plus it got rid of that cage bracket. I also changed all idlers to metco as well. One of the factory idlers is what failed on mine and that is what shredded the belt and then the belt wrapped all up on the stock crank pulley and bent it just enough to cause a wobble. Whick caused the bearings to go out and start makeing the noice you are talking about. Metco makes some nice pieces. I have been happy with thier performance so far. I know they are working on a 10 rib that will be out soon i hope. They said it will have a seperate 4 or 6 rib to run alternator and then the 10 rib will go strait up to the SC. That means it will be a short belt.

Users who are viewing this thread