Found metal in intake!

joebob450r

Established Member
Well I got bored tonight so I thought I would clean out my I/C. I pulled off the I/C and looked into the intake and saw, along with a lot of oil, a couple little pieces of metal. These little pieces of metal look EXACTLY like what was lodged in between one of my valves and the combustion chamber when my motor went. Does anybody have any idea where they could have came from? Thanks, Joe

metal24gi.jpg

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
So this was UNDER the intercooler? How big are they? Do you have anything to give them some scale? If it's under the i/c then it would have to be part of the fins no? Have you dismantled the s/c to see how the inside looks? I hope you don't find any more.

joebob450r

Established Member
Yup, they were under the I/C. The biggest one is 3/4 of an inch. I looked at the I/C and all of the fins look ok. These are a LOT thicker than the fins on the I/C. I checked the blower out too and it is ok. I am friggin lost.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Could they be left over from the motor change? Like maybe they got back blown in there and you didn't look under the i/c when you had it out? I dunno.

Blwn330

Established Member
Yea, it looks like little pieces from a piston ring. I dont know why they would be there though. That sucks. Best of luck

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
joebob450r said:
These little pieces of metal look EXACTLY like what was lodged in between one of my valves and the combustion chamber when my motor went.

I'm guessing they were blown back into the lower intake and just weren't seen when the motor swap was done.

joebob450r

Established Member
I'm just glad I decided to clean my I/C before I put my intake on the motor I am picking up on Friday! Some other people I talked to thought they looked like pieces off of a piston ring too.

Users who are viewing this thread