Found a great deal on a GT500 but trade value on my 15 was awful!!!

dru440

Established Member
I found a GT500 for 35k with 26k miles on it and was going to trade my 2015 Competition Orange performance package 6spd m/t with 500 miles on it. I was offered 25,000!!! They then went to 27k and I told them they were going through the auction at 30k. He verified the auction report that I told him about and said that's because they weren't competition orange its worth less because of the color. In March I traded in my first comp orange BASE with 355s and 6500 miles and received 29k for trade. I don't think they are adding anything for my performance package either. He also tried to tell me that triple net and after rebates the dealer buys the car for 24k I had to stop him right there and tell him I have been in the industry for 10 years and the triple net of the car is about 10% of the sticker price (3650) and add another 500 for the rebate and you could purchase the vehicle for 4150-35600 =31450. What a clown. I will sell someone my car on here for 30k . A BARGAIN.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
I mean, it's pretty well known that dealers make most of their profit off used cars. I wouldn't of really expected anything less. Sure they did low ball the hell out of you, but what dealer is realistically going to walk up and offer you a more than fair first offer?

I would of told them that if they wanted to sell their 26k mile gt500, then they would have to do better on the trade in value. They've got you by the balls because you want this specific car

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Car dealers never stop looking for suckers. The color jab makes me laugh. This time of year in Northern tier states, dealers do not like to put full value into used. They might be sitting on it for a while.

5.0jake

Established Member
Maybe try another dealer...

A friend of mine traded his base 15' GT 6m with 7900 miles for $29k a few months ago. The first dealer he went to offered $25k...
Why are you on your second comp orange GT and what was wrong with the first one lol?

I have seen CarMax work for some but also sometimes no more than a regular dealer.
They have to thoroughly inspect your vehicle for about an hour with you not there. I always imagine their ''inspector'' thrashing my car on the inspection test drive (think Ferris Bueller valet dudes)...

Last edited:

Need4Speed03

Established Member
I traded my first 15 PP Premium when I decided to go with an auto and the dealer gave me 35k (eventually after some negotiation, their first offer was 32k), it had 4k miles.

Troponin

Established Member
Just put a blower on your S550 maybe?

That's what I am thinking. With what the new Coyotes motors can handle in terms of power, that is def worth considering. The ROUSH kit, phase 1 is rated at 625hp, I think. That's pretty damn close to the GT500 you're looking at. With a tune, it will be a monster.

Not sure who else is offering a kit on the 15s yet.

dru440

Established Member
The first 15 Mustang I had I traded in so my wife could get her Ford Expedition. 29k for a base with 3.55. The lease that I was driving was coming up on being ready to turn in so I decided to buy another 15 Mustang for a daily. I took the mustang to the drag strip which I like to do occasionally and the IRS was terrible on the launch. The GT500 is a car I have always wanted so I figure I mide as well just get what I really want or I will not be happy but I will not got bent over in the process.

That's what I am thinking. With what the new Coyotes motors can handle in terms of power, that is def worth considering. The ROUSH kit, phase 1 is rated at 625hp, I think. That's pretty damn close to the GT500 you're looking at. With a tune, it will be a monster.

Jared89

Established Member

I was considering trading mine for a gt500 but decided to put a blower on it. There are MANY choices whipple,vmp,procharger,roush,kenne bell,vortex,paxton. pretty much every name has a kit for the s550s

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
Maybe just be satisfied with what you have for a while... You obviously need to practice gratitude.

sniper85

Established Member
What year is the GT500? Maybe you said and I missed it. I wouldn't trade it. The Shelby today is just a name. When it first came out that was a differenty story. But after owning both I will never go back to a GT500. I would take a GT350/TP. The new power plant on the 5.0 is amazing, the ride is ALOT NICER!!! And weighs less. I think on my shelby with me in it it was about 4200lbs(i think, it was also a vert.) I would just throw a supercharger on there. You will be more than happy!!!!

With todays powerplant and aftermaket support you will make GT500 power in no time with a supercharger. One of my best friends a 11 GT500/tp. when we raced he thought he was going to smoke me but we stayed even till the top of fourth and he then he just barely pulled on me. I belive he needs some new tires though but none the less I didn't get spanked as I was expecting to be.

Also, won't trading in vechiles back to back like this harm your credit? That would be something to consider?

Last edited:

Jared89

Established Member
What year is the GT500? Maybe you said and I missed it. I wouldn't trade it. The Shelby today is just a name. When it first came out that was a differenty story. But after owning both I will never go back to a GT500. I would take a GT350/TP. The new power plant on the 5.0 is amazing, the ride is ALOT NICER!!! And weighs less. I think on my shelby with me in it it was about 4200lbs(i think, it was also a vert.) I would just throw a supercharger on there. You will be more than happy!!!!

With todays powerplant and aftermaket support you will make GT500 power in no time with a supercharger. One of my best friends a 11 GT500/tp. when we raced he thought he was going to smoke me but we stayed even till the top of fourth and he then he just barely pulled on me. I belive he needs some new tires though but none the less I didn't get spanked as I was expecting to be.

Also, won't trading in vechiles back to back like this harm your credit? That would be something to consider?

I would trade my pro charged s550 for a 13-14 gt500 in a heart beat.

sniper85

Established Member
Do you want it just cause it says "Shelby"? Just wondering cause I have a buddy like that. But if that's what you like bub no harm no foul. I respect them....I just don't see the point. After owning one then my GT I was really let down. But I have always preferred N/A corner carver more then straight line brute force. Just my $0.02.

dru440

Established Member
sniper85 I like the exclusivity of the Shelby and the occasional drag strip blast on slicks (no reason to go if you are not on slicks) I also drive this car daily but do have another vehicle. I am not highly concerned with the handling of the vehicle. I knew I should have bought the Shelby in the beginning but the incentive they had going was hard to pass up.

sniper85

Established Member
sniper85 I like the exclusivity of the Shelby and the occasional drag strip blast on slicks (no reason to go if you are not on slicks) I also drive this car daily but do have another vehicle. I am not highly concerned with the handling of the vehicle. I knew I should have bought the Shelby in the beginning but the incentive they had going was hard to pass up.

I respect that. See I wanted a corner carver and my Shelby just wasn't up to the task. I wasn't happy with the brakes, the ride or the handling. My 98 cobra is lowered and it handled better then my Shelby. So, it was a better deal to trade my Shelby for a PP instead of upgrading brakes, suspension and just figuring it all out. I test drove one and said I'll be right back with my Shelby. I also got a really good deal as its my 3rd mustang I bought from that dealer. But I understand the exclusivity, not going to lie I do miss cruising the highway in a "Shelby"! lol Also, if you go that route I had the best luck with Toyo Triple R on my Shelby. And don't put 3.73 gears in it....you wont be able to keep your foot out of it and get like 2 mpg. Anyway, good luck on the decision!

Users who are viewing this thread