Fore hat + tank issues (return)

Jpjr

Established Member
I'm getting a lot of gas smell from the top of my tank (after car has been shut off and sat in the garage) and wondering if pressure is being relieved through the open vent on top of the tank since the PPRV was deleted. Why is it ok to delete this anyway with a return setup, because there is an external regulator?

Also, has anyone had any problems sealing the tank with the FORE hat. Mine leaked like crazy and I had it on and off at least three times. Took a ton of Permatex goop to get it to seal. This has nothing to do with the FORE piece... it looks perfect... it has to do with sealing the hard aluminum to the flimsy tank. It seems almost like the stock gasket isn't thick enough or something in the front where the lines come out... that's where it leaks.

One thought is that my tank is bent or bad... but I find that hard to believe as the car has less than 8k on it and has been driven pretty easy. Whatever it is, my tank reaks like gas still...

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
Did you trim the taps/nipples off of the OEM gasket before installing?

When I did mine, I have noticed an increase in gas smell. I attribute it to the -8 line which are more porous than the SS OEM line.

It seems that the tank would be bent on the bottom from installing not the top if it is.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
no permatex sealant is going to stand up to gasoline. hell 2 part epoxy wont seal gas. you must have a problem with the gasket and you need to check/replace it. make sure you trim the nips.

Jpjr

Established Member
no permatex sealant is going to stand up to gasoline. hell 2 part epoxy wont seal gas. you must have a problem with the gasket and you need to check/replace it. make sure you trim the nips.

i trimmed the nips and used a brand new gasket. the gasket is not bad. i also made sure the pumps were not bottoming out.

and permatex #2 resits gas and is what i and others have used.

http://www.permatex.com/products/au.../auto_Permatex_Form-A-Gasket_No_2_Sealant.htm

"The product retains effective properties in contact with water,
ethylene glycol, gasoline, motor oil, transmission fluid and sea
water."

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
i trimmed the nips and used a brand new gasket. the gasket is not bad. i also made sure the pumps were not bottoming out.

and permatex #2 resits gas and is what i and others have used.

http://www.permatex.com/products/au.../auto_Permatex_Form-A-Gasket_No_2_Sealant.htm

"The product retains effective properties in contact with water,
ethylene glycol, gasoline, motor oil, transmission fluid and sea
water."

yeah i know what it says, but it flat does not seal. i have used it on top of a tank before and just the gas fumes were enough to cause the permatex to rot away.

Users who are viewing this thread