FordSVTFan and any other FL LEO

CentennialVert

Angry Pirate
Established Member
I've mentioned my interest in law enforcement/military on here before, so I'm finally acting on it...

Duval County is offering a scholarship to the academy that I'm applying to Monday. Only stipulation is that you work for the county for 3 years after graduating, or pay them back for tuition/books.

My question for you guys is, if you were the one reading my file, would you give me the scholarship?

The prereq's say nothing of a college education, but I do have some college coursework completed. I don't know if highschool grades carry any weight, but I graduated with a 3.0 from one of the most rigorous college prep schools in the state. No criminal record. I've only been pulled over 2 times, with one ticket for speeding...but I didn't pay the ticket in time so my license shows that it was suspended for financial responsibility. I come from a family of military and law enforcement, just to give you an idea of my upbringing. Here's the kicker that I'm worried about; It says no experimentation with marijuana in the last 5 years, and no hard drugs in the last 10 years. I've never done anything other than smoke pot, but I did go through a period of smoking a lot in high school.

Would that automatically disqualify me, or am I not qualified to begin with?

Thanks for you help.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
If you have smoked in the last five years, that would disqualify you. Remember most agencies are looking for the most qualified candidates. You need to make yourself stand out for the right reasons. Although marijuana use isnt that big of a deal, recent use is. For that agency, 5 years is recent.

I cant comment on whether you are basically qualified or not, but you certainly wont be the most qualified. The way the Florida academy works, when an agency offers to pay for the academy, they will certainly make sure the candidate is highly qualified.

I would suggest spending the next two years working on your resume and qualifications to make you a stand out candidate for whichever agency/dept you apply for.

Good Luck.

CentennialVert

Angry Pirate
Established Member
Thanks. Thats what I was thinking, but its better to have a professional opinion. Would EMT certification be a plus? I've also looked into being a firefighter, and if I can't be an officer for the next few years at a minimum, then I could get certified as a firefighter/emt and decide down the road if I'd still like to apply to the academy. Both have the excitement and public service that I'm looking for, so I wouldn't be dissapointed with either career chioce.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
CentennialVert said:
Thanks. Thats what I was thinking, but its better to have a professional opinion. Would EMT certification be a plus? I've also looked into being a firefighter, and if I can't be an officer for the next few years at a minimum, then I could get certified as a firefighter/emt and decide down the road if I'd still like to apply to the academy. Both have the excitement and public service that I'm looking for, so I wouldn't be dissapointed with either career chioce.

Being an EMT would get you a second look, being a Paramedic would be extremely beneficial.

Users who are viewing this thread