Ford's NEW Lightning...

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
i really like the interior, and the looks of the motor, BUT, the L nneeds to keep the flare side....if that was just a reg F150, i can see how good a lightning would look in the same concept!!

looks like i'll be trad'n

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
HOLY MOTHER OF GOD
that thing will be incredable (hope the half shafts dont break)
hummmmmmm guess i should start saving for one now, it will be nice to own two of them
not big on the yellow interior tho
what color should i get then :shrug: cause i already have a red one???

dougwg

Established Member
"Coletti's team fit the SVT Lightning concept with an all-aluminum,
5.4-liter DOHC supercharged and intercooled V-8 engine conservatively rated at 500 horsepower and 500 foot pounds of torque (SAE net). And while they were at it, they invented and patented a speed secret for those times when even that much power just isn't enough.

Ford's patented SuperCooler technology cleverly provides a special burst of power for the SVT Lightning concept. Traditional intercoolers dissipate heat from the supercharged air by circulating coolant through a front-mounted, air-cooled radiator. With the SuperCooler system, the vehicle's air conditioning system is used to chill a small storage tank of coolant to about 30 degrees Fahrenheit.

On demand, the SuperCooler system switches the intercooler flow from its normal circulation and dumps the chilled coolant into the engine's intercooler. In turn, the intercooler dissipates up to 20 percent more heat from the charge air - resulting in a denser air charge.

A green light on the instrument panel indicates the system's readiness. SuperCooler is activated automatically when the driver depresses the accelerator to a wide-open-throttle position.

"This technology plays directly into the hands of the enthusiast," Coletti says. "The SuperCooler provides the edge for the driver, and it is done simply by taking advantage of the hardware that already exists in the vehicle."

As a result of this cool technology, the SVT Lighting concept can give its driver as much as 50 transient horsepower for short bursts of 30-45 seconds and regenerate within 2 minutes under normal driving conditions. While its effect is similar to that of an aftermarket nitrous oxide system, the SuperCooler is completely self-contained, environmentally friendly and regenerative.

The SVT Lightning concept engine features a Lysholm, screw-type supercharger, paired with both an intercooler and the new SuperCooler system. The 32-valve, double-overhead-cam powerplant boasts Manley connecting rods, two fuel injectors per cylinder and high-performance heads similar to those on the limited-edition 2000 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra R."

hrmmm.....Where's the MAF and the TB?
;-)
attachment.php

ib fast

Established Member
Factory tech[Greg Evans] said the only 6 speed will be in the prototype and that the production version will be either a 5 speed auto or a version of his very own monster box...this is good news for the dragstrip crowd as the six speed is the reason the dodge prototype only ran 12.90's with 500 hp and others are running in the 11's with there gen 2's with around 430 hp.
I was told 10 months ago that the nex't gen L would come with a 4 valve 5.4 and Eaton has exclusive rights to any oem applications for the[Lysholm] twin screws...so at the very least we should see a production 4 valve with a whipple[Eaton] blower and that cooler systym would be nice,but i wouldn't count on it being in production.

Other things that will most likely not make production are the aluminum block,22 in rims,and with any luck they will lose the irs imho.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
You mean a top end governer. A rev limiter limits the rpms, not top speed per se.

Plus a simple "chip" can eliminate either of those limits.

Blackgeetee

Established Member
That "Supercooler" thing is pretty cool. I like how it recharges itself after two to three minutes. They say it's like a 50 shot of nawwws but it recharges. I think they'll put that into production to show off their patent.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Isnt that similar to what guys are already doing by putting an extra large intercooler tank in the bed of the truck, well minus the extra cooling by the AC unit?

I like the idea, but I think because of the size needed it will never make it to production.

A lot of the things listed there wont make it to production. As you notice they call it a "concept" vehicle, not the production vehicle.

That sucks because that would be awesome.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan
Isnt that similar to what guys are already doing by putting an extra large intercooler tank in the bed of the truck, well minus the extra cooling by the AC unit?

I like the idea, but I think because of the size needed it will never make it to production.

A lot of the things listed there wont make it to production. As you notice they call it a "concept" vehicle, not the production vehicle.

That sucks because that would be awesome.

The other thing would be cost I say if it was around $45,000 Ford would be doing real good on it.:eek: :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread