Ford Tri-Motor - Tail #NC 9610

Stroszek

Goes to 11
Established Member
I'm on my way home from work yesterday when I caught out of the corner of my eye what was unmistakably a Ford Tri-Motor resting at the small local airport. Not having my camera with me, I made up my mind to return in hopes of getting a few pictures.

Knowing very little about this aircraft, I did a little research when I got home and, according to Wikipedia (I am considering the source), there are only 18 remaining in existence. Only 6 of of which are in flying condition.

I went back this morning and am successful at getting a few pics and return home and do a little research on the tail number. Tail # NC 9610.

It is not among the 6 listed flyable aircraft on Wikipedia but I'm pretty certain this aircraft flew in on it's own. I did a little more searching and am surprised to find the following on this particular tail number.

1928: The Ford Tri-motor (Tin Goose) designed by William B (Bill) Stout was promoted between 1926 and 1933 by demonstrating its aerobatic capabilities at the hands of Harold Johnson. Ford's chief pilot who looped, spun and snap rolled Ford NC-9610, a 4-AT-B #53. Johnson reportedly performed 17 consecutive loops during one demonstration.

Headlines

[youtube_browser]c6dWtDk_rOI[/youtube_browser]

I never expected this awkward and cumbersome looking plane could perform such maneuvers.

KTT_20101009_3419.jpg
KTT_20101009_3412.jpg
KTT_20101009_3416.jpg

I haven't been able to glean any more history on this particular plane but is it safe to assume this is the same plane as in the early 30's video above? Anybody know where I can obtain more reliable information on the subsequent history of this aircraft? I keep getting links to the same YouTube videos.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Many years ago during an air show at Clover field in Santa Monica they were selling rides in a Trimotor for $20.00

Tons of fun. It vibrated like a son of a bitch and was so loud inside you couldn't hear anything but the engines shaking the airframe. No such thing as auto sync on those engines.

So I went up three times!

Users who are viewing this thread