Ford TPMS w/ aftermarket wheels?

WA 2 FST

Established Member
Ok, so I'm getting some aftermarket wheels. Can the factory TPMS sensors be taken off my OEM wheels and installed on the new wheels? Is this difficult? Is it something a qualified tire installer can handle?

skyhighsd

Established Member
Yes, no,yes:lol1:

Also will have to have them reprogrammed if I am not mistaken.

Last edited:

WA 2 FST

Established Member
Yes, no,yes:lol1:

Also will have to have them reprogrammed if I am not mistaken.

Ok, I have not found the reprogramming procedure in my manual. Is this something I can do? I would think most tire installers know how to do this. TPMS are pretty common nowdays.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
Ok, I have not found the reprogramming procedure in my manual. Is this something I can do? I would think most tire installers know how to do this. TPMS are pretty common nowdays.

Ford has a programming tool that they use. I'm sure its a common
one for the after market installer. I think if you keep the same location
i.e. front left, etc..you won't need a reset. my other cars were no problem, just dont mix them up;-)

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Sidenote:

If putting on a pair of wheels without TPMS sensors, all you have is the Dash Warning Light, correct? Or will the thing be beeping on you?

I need to swap to my stockers for a cold-weather trip...

skyhighsd

Established Member
Sidenote:

If putting on a pair of wheels without TPMS sensors, all you have is the Dash Warning Light, correct? Or will the thing be beeping on you?

I need to swap to my stockers for a cold-weather trip...

Just the light and the read out on the dash which you can clear with the reset button. I dont run any sensors in my wheels and have just learned to not notice the icon.

WA 2 FST

Established Member
Just the light and the read out on the dash which you can clear with the reset button. I dont run any sensors in my wheels and have just learned to not notice the icon.

Ok, so this is not a big deal, then. Sorry... I'm new to TPMS sensors. My Vette doesn't have them b/c the C5 Z06 didn't come with that option. My wife's Yukon has them, but who cares? LOL

If I don't need 'em, then I am not going to bother running them. The icon will not bother me, as long as it is not a code that will trigger some sort of limp setting if it stays lit for an extended period of time.

It's a neat feature on these new cars, I guess, but hot-rodders like us really do not need them at all b/c we typically check things like this at regular intervals.

skyhigh...please clarify that this code is not a problem wrt performance of any kind. Thanks!

09Troublemaker

Established Member
Ok, so this is not a big deal, then. Sorry... I'm new to TPMS sensors. My Vette doesn't have them b/c the C5 Z06 didn't come with that option. My wife's Yukon has them, but who cares? LOL

If I don't need 'em, then I am not going to bother running them. The icon will not bother me, as long as it is not a code that will trigger some sort of limp setting if it stays lit for an extended period of time.

It's a neat feature on these new cars, I guess, but hot-rodders like us really do not need them at all b/c we typically check things like this at regular intervals.

skyhigh...please clarify that this code is not a problem wrt performance of any kind. Thanks!

it will not trip or cut back performance at all

however, IMO if you have them use them....you never know what
could happen on the road..especially having expensive wheels..

TexasShelby

Established Member
I caught a slow leak before leaving on a roadtrip and might have been a blowout later on with the sensors.

One distant consideration, if anything ever happened to your car and worse case, it was a complete loss, your insurance company will crawl all over that car and if they find you've removed a OEM installed safety device, you can bet they will be looking into not paying the claim.

skyhighsd

Established Member

Sorry missed this thread, I have 1300 miles with no TPMS in my car and a KB I zero performance issues:lol1: Even if I would have ran the sensors in my car I would be setting them off all of the time anyway. I only run 20psi in the rear tires and the difference to the front would set them off. Sorry but IMO I have never needed a sensor to tell me a tire was low in the past and dont see a reason for it now.

Stripe Delete

Crazy SVT Poser
Established Member
Why am I reading "Tire Pressure Sensor Failure" again? :cuss:

I hate this sh!t!
Let us cut it off big brother.:bowdown:
Im all for this nanny crap on anything a woman will drive but damn, not this car.:bored:

WA 2 FST

Established Member
Sorry missed this thread, I have 1300 miles with no TPMS in my car and a KB I zero performance issues:lol1: Even if I would have ran the sensors in my car I would be setting them off all of the time anyway. I only run 20psi in the rear tires and the difference to the front would set them off. Sorry but IMO I have never needed a sensor to tell me a tire was low in the past and dont see a reason for it now.

Given that I'll be running a DR full-time on this car once I get the new wheels, I was thinking the same thing. I usually run a little more than 20psi on the street, but still... I bet the delta b/w front/rear is significant enough to throw the code. If that's the case, there is no reason to buy new sensors.

Thanks for all the informative replies!

Stripe Delete

Crazy SVT Poser
Established Member
Given that I'll be running a DR full-time on this car once I get the new wheels, I was thinking the same thing. I usually run a little more than 20psi on the street, but still... I bet the delta b/w front/rear is significant enough to throw the code. If that's the case, there is no reason to buy new sensors.
Thanks for all the informative replies!

You will have the lovely "Low pressure" reading with anthing under 30psi from my exp.:mj:

Just get use to the reset button.:bash:

TexasShelby

Established Member

What kind of rear tires do you have that you only run 20#? DRs?

I know a couple guys that take the sensors put them in a sealed PVC pipe and pump it with 30# of air and put it in their trunk. Lights gone.

skyhighsd

Established Member
What kind of rear tires do you have that you only run 20#? DRs?

I know a couple guys that take the sensors put them in a sealed PVC pipe and pump it with 30# of air and put it in their trunk. Lights gone.

MT's 305/35/18, I have seen that before but I have also heard that it doesnt work due to the sensor need to rotate to work other wise they go into a sleep mode? I have never talked to anyone that had first hand exp. with that set up. So you now for a fact that it does work?

TexasShelby

Established Member
you could be correct, I never heard back from them if that failed. I'll check around and see if what I can find out.

09Troublemaker

Established Member
MT's 305/35/18, I have seen that before but I have also heard that it doesnt work due to the sensor need to rotate to work other wise they go into a sleep mode? I have never talked to anyone that had first hand exp. with that set up. So you now for a fact that it does work?

I can't see how since the rpm's are a big factor:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread