Ford Recall question?

joec

Established Member
1998 Ford Mustang Cobra NHTSA Recall ID Number: 97V165000
Recall Date: SEP 30, 1997
Component: STEERING:GEAR BOX:SHAFT SECTOR
Potential Units Affected: 2250
Summary: VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES AND MINI-VANS. THE RACK AND PINION STEERING GEARS MAY HAVE DAMAGED INPUT SHAFT BEARINGS.
Consequence: THIS CONDITION CAN INCREASE STEERING EFFORTS, AFFECTING STEERING CONTROL.
Remedy: DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE DATE CODE ON THE RACK AND PINION STEERING GEAR, AND, IF NECESSARY, REPLACE THOSE RACK AND PINION ASSEMBLIES THAT FALL WITHIN THE SUSPECT DATE CODE RANGE. THE DATE CODES FOR WINDSTAR MODEL VEHICLES ARE 97JB09 OR 97JC08; THE DATE CODES FOR MUSTANG MODEL VEHICLES ARE 97J09B OR 97J08B.
Notes: FORD MOTOR COMPANY

---------------

Is there any way for a Ford dealership to use my VIN # to identify whether or not I fall into this recall? Because my rack and pinion just went bad, and i'm sure if it is because of this?

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Yes they will beable to tell you if the recall has been performed. I've never heard of that one though. I though the only recall was for the e-brake

joec

Established Member
there's a couple i found on a website. one was about a link missing from the fuel rail or something of that nature.

slow98svt

www.snma.net
Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
Yes they will beable to tell you if the recall has been performed. I've never heard of that one though. I though the only recall was for the e-brake

I think my 98 may have had the recall for the e-brake. Not sure what was replace under the recall but my e-brake feels brand new and not stretched like my 98 GT's.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
My e-brake feels stretched but I've checked and there are no unperformed recalls on my car. I have to lift it all the way up in order for it to hold the car.

MARK C

Established Member
joec said:
there's a couple i found on a website. one was about a link missing from the fuel rail or something of that nature.

Like stated in the recall, they will look for the date code on your rack. If you don't fall in the correct date, Ford will NOT replace it for free. You can any ford dealer run your vin, to see if your Cobra falls in the recall or not.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
CY98Cobra said:
My e-brake feels stretched but I've checked and there are no unperformed recalls on my car. I have to lift it all the way up in order for it to hold the car.
did you trying tightening it up a bit?

slow98svt

www.snma.net
Established Member
CY98Cobra said:

Yeah thats how my GT is, the Cobra I only have to make it click 2 or 3 times to hold it in my driveway.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
im pretty sure it can be adjusted somewhere by the rear brakes.
i coulda sworn it was adjustable. i know for a fact that the 79-03s were.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
The 79-93's could be adjusted by the cable. It had nuts where the cable split to go to both rear brakes (at least my 79 does). You could tighten the nut to take up slack in the cable. I'm pretty sure that in 94 they put in a self adjusting mechanism. It is what the handle attaches to under the console. I may pull it apart and look at it. It drives me nuts.

98svtconvert

Established Member
i have the same issue with the e-brake having to be pulled all the way up. i still have to check and see if the recall was ever done. will they still do it if it hasn't. let me know if there is some where top adjust the e-brake. i thought they were self adjusting as well but i could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread