Ford Racing Trans-Pan

DSM Storm

Established Member
Hey guys, im going to be picking up a FTVB, and a ford racing trans pan. Im wondering what type of filter it takes? Does it use a factory filter or is a special filter needed since its a deeper pan? Also...what do you guys recommend for ATF? I was going to go with the valvoline Mercon V synthetic. Any other good choices?

Thanks,
Storm

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
have no clue about the pan..but our tranny's take Mercron III

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Laser98SVT said:
Can you use the FTVB with the stock pan?

Yes, but it's worth it to upgrade to a larger pan while you've got the fluid dropped anyway. Bigger pan -> more fluid -> cooler tranny temps.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
If your lowered your going to want the Moroso pan. The drain plug on the 4x4 pan sits to low. I'll be changing mine soon from the 4x4 to the Moroso.

nastynivek

Nov. 10, 1775
Established Member
DSM Storm said:
Hey guys, im going to be picking up a FTVB, and a ford racing trans pan. Im wondering what type of filter it takes? Does it use a factory filter or is a special filter needed since its a deeper pan? Also...what do you guys recommend for ATF? I was going to go with the valvoline Mercon V synthetic. Any other good choices?

Thanks,
Storm

DO NOT use Mercon V. It'll eat away all the seals in the Lightning's tranny.

Dexron III/Mercon is the correct fluid.

DSM Storm

Established Member
nastynivek said:
DO NOT use Mercon V. It'll eat away all the seals in the Lightning's tranny.

Dexron III/Mercon is the correct fluid.

I figured the Mercon V would be a better choice since it supersedes the Mercon fluid. I guess ill stick with what it calls for. I will look into the moroso pan BTW.

Storm

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
DSM Storm said:
I figured the Mercon V would be a better choice since it supersedes the Mercon fluid. I guess ill stick with what it calls for. I will look into the moroso pan BTW.

Storm

Get the Moroso pan. You'll be happy you did.

TXRickC

Established Member
I just ditched the 4x4 pan for the Moroso pan last weekend (4x4 pan uses a FT-114 filter while the Moroso uses the stock FT-113 filter) Do not put Mercon V in the Lightning, Mercon/DexronIII is what it requires. The Motorcraft is good enough.

The drain plug on the 4x4 hangs down and it got rubbed a few times which is why I made the switch.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
DSM Storm said:
I also wanted to ask, I was probably going to go with Valvoline, from what I can see... alot are going with royal purple. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Storm

I'd just stick with the Valvoline. When you drop the pan you are only draining about 1/3 of the fluid and you do not want to end up with a blend of regular and synthetic fluids.

Users who are viewing this thread