Ford racing the 1st to mod 3 versions of the 2015 Mustang

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
I agree. So far I actually really like the S550 and want to see it do well (and still fully believe once the aftermarket catches up a lot of people will be eating their own words) but gone are the days when manuals are faster than autos. Even the modern 'traditional' autos with torque converters are faster and just as efficient in power transmission as past manuals. There's a reason a lot of guys who only want to drag bought coyotes with the auto; they're faster than mt82 cars. I think Ford is sandbagging and waiting to see what the new Camaro does. By '17 I expect DI and a DCT. This platform has a lot of life in it and they're not going to lay down all their cards in the first year.

I'm not one of the fanbois, either. I've definitely owned more Fords than any other make but I'm just a general car enthusiast whether domestic or import. I think Ford is playing it conservative and has a ton more in store for this platform. I might be wrong but I'm excited to see what they do with the Mustang in the next couple years

Last edited:

nicksender

Established Member
I agree. So far I actually really like the S550 and want to see it do well (and still fully believe once the aftermarket catches up a lot of people will be eating their own words) but gone are the days when manuals are faster than autos. Even the modern 'traditional' autos with torque converters are faster and just as efficient in power transmission as past manuals. There's a reason a lot of guys who only want to drag bought coyotes with the auto; they're faster than mt82 cars. I think Ford is sandbagging and waiting to see what the new Camaro does. By '17 I expect DI and a DCT. This platform has a lot of life in it and they're not going to lay down all their cards in the first year.

I'm not one of the fanbois, either. I've definitely owned more Fords than any other make but I'm just a general car enthusiast whether domestic or import. I think Ford is playing it conservative and has a ton more in store for this platform. I might be wrong but I'm excited to see what they do with the Mustang in the next couple years

I agree that the 2011+ GT's Auto's are more consistent, by far, if you are discussing the drag strip. I think equal drivers with each transmission would post about the same times on perfect runs only. Otherwise the Auto will be faster.

I am going to get a manual though as I enjoy rowing gears and want to try some road course driving. I do go to the strip from time to time; but I'm not bracket racing the car so I'll give up the inconsistency.

Maybe down the road I will consider an Auto especially if they put a proper DCT in.

old_goat

Established Member
The '15 GT's don't have catted mid-pipes. The converter is part of the headers. Totally different style for the new cars.

Their MPH was 117, 2MPH more than your best run in a lot worse air. I believe the DA was right around 1000'.

5.0L Naturally Aspirated GT FRPP Modifications: 11.77 secs
- Performance Rear Subframe Kit
- Heavy Duty Half-Shaft Kit
- Prototype Off-Road Exhaust
- Draft Shaft Safety Loops
- Ford Racing Development Engine Calibration

- Hoosier Drag Racing Slicks (Rear)
- Weld-Racing AlumaStar Drag Wheels (Rear)
- ARH Cobra Jet Long Tube Headers
- Four Point Roll Cage
- Recaro Seats

I'm not trying to steal your thunder. I realize you have 2015 GT in your signature and I sincerely hope you enjoy your new car.

These mods are what's on the video.

I completely and totally stand by my opinion that I'm not impressed with the bolt on 11.77. As I stated earlier, and I'll put it in another context here, they most likely had an open ended budget for the cars, they most likely had a track rental or they owned the track, they most likely had the best prep they could get, they most likely made as many runs as they wanted to, to get the desired results. No doubt they had tuners, mechanics, and engineers on site, plus professional drivers. Basically they had their own drivers and pit crew to go along with the tuners. They also had weight reduction which I never considered.

All I had was long tubes, BAMA tune, high flow cats, Nitto NT05R drag radials, lower control arms, and a cold air intake. My only advantage was DA even though I don't know what their DA was. No weight reduction as I want to run the car at the track at the same weight I would run on the street.

There is no doubt in my mind that my car being driven by a professional, had weight reduction, had an unlimited budget, and my own tuners and pit crew, had a track rental with unlimited runs and the best prep I could get, had an off road exhaust, would have had Hoosiers vs. Nitto's.... that my car would've run better than a 11.87.

Being unimpressed doesn't make me a 'hater' or mean that I'm 'dogging' the car. It just makes me unimpressed.......and is IMHO.

Last edited:

cobra199711

Established Member
I must have missed it, but where did the 117 MPH come from? I thought it was 116.. Not that it's a big deal. Just wondering. I also am somewhat ok with the results, I would say that a 11-14 5.0 would run pretty much the same as these results, apples to apples mods etc.. Just wont look as good, in my opinion.

02 WIFE

Established Member
5.0L Naturally Aspirated GT FRPP Modifications: 11.77 secs
- Performance Rear Subframe Kit
- Heavy Duty Half-Shaft Kit
- Prototype Off-Road Exhaust
- Draft Shaft Safety Loops
- Ford Racing Development Engine Calibration

- Hoosier Drag Racing Slicks (Rear)
- Weld-Racing AlumaStar Drag Wheels (Rear)
- ARH Cobra Jet Long Tube Headers
- Four Point Roll Cage
- Recaro Seats

I'm not trying to steal your thunder. I realize you have 2015 GT in your signature and I sincerely hope you enjoy your new car.

These mods are what's on the video.

I completely and totally stand by my opinion that I'm not impressed with the bolt on 11.77. As I stated earlier, and I'll put it in another context here, they most likely had an open ended budget for the cars, they most likely had a track rental or they owned the track, they most likely had the best prep they could get, they most likely made as many runs as they wanted to, to get the desired results. No doubt they had tuners, mechanics, and engineers on site, plus professional drivers. Basically they had their own drivers and pit crew to go along with the tuners. They also had weight reduction which I never considered.

All I had was long tubes, BAMA tune, high flow cats, Nitto NT05R drag radials, lower control arms, and a cold air intake. My only advantage was DA even though I don't know what their DA was. No weight reduction as I want to run the car at the track at the same weight I would run on the street.

There is no doubt in my mind that my car being driven by a professional, had weight reduction, had an unlimited budget, and my own tuners and pit crew, had a track rental with unlimited runs and the best prep I could get, had an off road exhaust, would have had Hoosiers vs. Nitto's.... that my car would've run better than a 11.87.th

Being unimpressed doesn't make me a 'hater' or mean that I'm 'dogging' the car. It just makes me unimpressed.......and is IMHO.

Yes the testing was done at Milan Dragway in Michigan. It was a private track rental before regular test n tune nite.

Users who are viewing this thread