Ford Racing IRS Diff Cover Sealant & Bolts

venom1307

Established Member
Hey guys quick question. I am pulling the IRS on my 04 Term to overhaul with the complete full tilt boogie setup (all joints, bushings, the works) and the torque brace. I also purchased the custom machines ford racing cover to use their delrin diff mount.

The ford racing cover install instructions state to seal the cover with the Permatex Hylomar sealant, but I can’t find that anywhere. I spoke to Permatex support and they said that the PermaShield 85420 is the current product that replaced it. I also got longer bolts after measuring the thread depth on my diff.

Has anyone used this or do you have a better recommendation for a sealant?

Excerpt from Permatex:
This polyester urethane based gasketing compound withstands extreme temperature changes without hardening. Its non-setting, non-hardening character remains tacky even with rapid changes in temperature, enabling repeated assembly and disassembly of parts.

Appreciate your advice.

Diff cover bolts:
The bolts that come with the diff cover are not really long enough in my opinion. I am using 5/16-18 x 1-3/4” which gives me about 1/8” to 3/16” to the bottom of the hole torqued to 25lbs

Any thoughts on the bolt I plan to use?

olympic

Established Member
There are 4 options to seal the diff that are known to work well:

-Ford TA-29 / TA-31 Grey RTV
-Permatex Green gear oil RTV
-Permatex "The Right Stuff"
-Lube Locker gasket

I used the Permatex Green and had no leaks after several years. Make sure both surfaces are clean and degreased. Do not install the gear oil or drive the car for 24 hours to let the RTV cure.

Also, the Ford Racing cover is really susceptible to spewing oil out the vent tube due to over-filling. The capacity is 40oz or 1.25 quarts including the friction modifier if used.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I used Ultra Gray when I installed my cover. The last time I was in there was 2019 I think to fix the seal and put in the solid spacer. It seems the Lube Locker gasket is coming up as an option now. I haven't used one in an IRS application, but the other places I've used them they worked flawlessly.

I used the bolts that came with the cover at the same time. No issues yet. And I'm not exactly easy on my car.

When I did the full 1.25 I had a nice mess over my tail pipes. The last time I went with about 1.15 quarts.

venom1307

Established Member
Interesting info. Surprised to hear of the spewing issue. I noticed they have a baffle built into the cover… So you are seeing spewing issues with the tube on and pointed upwards ?

So the fill hole is actually over full?

Appreciate the feedback and for taking the time.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Define don't fill to the fill hole. It's way too high. Measure and pour.

And yes, that's with the breather tube in place.

olympic

Established Member
If you fill it to the hole it will spew oil out the vent tube. Ford specs actually state that "Full" is about 1/2" below the fill hole. I had my tube pointed inwards, not sure what the orientation would change?

20190912_200655.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread