Ford Racing IRS Diff Cover Leak

01BlkSn8k

Established Member
Have you guys had good luck with this product?

I went with this due to the original diff cover leaking. Now, the Ford racing girdle is leaking now. It's been only 6 months. Is this normal? Searches say it's normal, just wondering if it's normal for the Ford Racing Diff cover to leak as well?

Thanks, just curious as I'll be tearing this apart again.

01yellercobra

Established Member
What RTV did you use? I went with the Ultra Grey when I installed my FRPP cover and it's been fine since 2015.

01BlkSn8k

Established Member
Yes, RTV Grey. Dude, I'm going crazy, I crawled under and nothing, apparently, I saw a leak from another CAR. FML. Sorry Brotha!

52merc

Established Member
Jumping to conclusions without proper inspection and testing can cause a lot of unnecessary work. I remember many years ago, coming home from work and finding my son madly working on his car. He had a wiring problem: no taillights; no brake lights; no turn signal lights; and no backup lights. He had the rear seats out, the driver seat, the steering column half disassembled. I asked him what was the problem. He told me about the lights and claimed he had traced the problem to the steering column wiring but could not pin-point where the problem was. I went back to the trunk and looked at one of the turn/tail/brake bulbs. Filaments were completely gone. I checked all the bulbs, I think there was 8 in all (it was a Turbo Coupe - nice little car). The same, the filaments were completely gone on all the bulbs. I got a new bulb from my parts spares and it lit right up. I told my son it put the car back together again, buy new bulbs, and turn down his sub-woofers.

01yellercobra

Established Member
yeah, I straight jumped to conclusion, smh
Don't feel too bad. I overfilled my diff when I installed the cover. By a lot. Just the drive home had fluid spewing all over the place. I thought I screwed something major up since me and my buddy had just replaced all the bushings as well.

01yellercobra

Established Member

omj

Established Member

Dave.O

Established Member
Screw using RTV. I use this on mine and the sucker is dry as a bone. When I did the fill I just filled with the friction modifier and the 2 quarts of royal purple till it started to spill out. Then closed it up and done. 0 leaks and I beat the shit out of this car.

LubeLocker Mustang 8.8" Rear Differential Cover Gasket (86-14) LLR-F880

What he said. Lube locker. But I also studded mine. After ripping out 4 of diff bolts open tracking it

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Yep, stud it for bigger power builds. I also found out after the fact from multiple ppl that a girdle on the IRS is about as useful as a girdle on a 5.0 pushrod stock block... eh, live and learn, I got the Steeda piece for like $100 on sale and it looks cool. Plan on upgrading the rear cover to the FRPP one modded for the FTBR mount. Will get it from FTBR.

Another thing everyone with an IRS should do is take it entirely apart and replace EVERY SINGLE BUSHING with the FTBR stuff minus maybe prothane/energy poly on the subrame mounts and front pumpkin mount. This includes new cross axis links. I've got that all done to mine and the car is ****ing GLUED to the road around corners and 0 wheel hop. Steeda factory suspension up front.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Mods are in the sig. No.
Sig doesn't show up on Tapatalk. I'm surprised you got two quarts in. I did that in mine accidentally and it was overfilled.

IMO wheel hop is never 100% gone. It just depends on the tires, surface, and luck. I have every FTBR bushing, coil overs, and drag radials. I still get wheel hop occasionally.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
I have street tires so they probably break loose before they'd hop and i'm not making a zillion HP either. I got about 2 quarts in but that includes 7oz of friction modifier so it wasn't a full 2 quarts of fluid. Very fun to do it with the girdle on but its doable. The whole shebang being on a dolly and not mounted in the car made it easier lol... although getting an IRS subframe to line up in my GT for the swap was a hell of a lot of fun... I still dunno how I did it.

Users who are viewing this thread