Ford Racing Harmonic Balancer

red95gts

Established Member
Yes, it's for a 93 Cobra ... ;)

My car has developed an rpm-dependant vibration that I'm assuming is the balancer. It appears to be the original unit and after 73K and 17 years, I think it's had it. The rubber is cracked and is beginning to squish out from between the hub and the outer ring.

I'm looking for an OEM replacement balancer, preferably something made by Ford. I found this at Summit:

Ford Racing M-6316-M50 - Ford Racing Crankshaft Damper Assemblies - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Looks like a stocker and the price is definitely right. What troubles me is this:

Degree Markings - No

Anyone own one of these? It's gotta have markings for at least -40 BTDC to 10 ATDC, right?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Also open to recommendations for replacement, OEM-Style, Non-SFI balancers. Thanks in advance

buddha93

Established Member
Here it is on Diversified's site, and it clearly has timing marks:

Buy Ford Racing Parts - All 5.0L Ford Engine Damper

Summit has the same pic also.

When it comes to Ford parts, I always use Diversified. Prices are good and they ship fast. I think if you were to call them, they could tell you way more about the part than Summit. I like Summit, but half the time the techs get it wrong with parts applications.

BTW, to my knowledge, this is nothing more than an OEM replacement.

Anything beyond that will jump in price from $200-400 for good SFI stuff. I know a lot of guys run the Romac and Powerbond balancers and they seem to have good success with them. I run ATI on my red car, and I've also had a Fluidamper with no issues.

red95gts

Established Member
Thanks! I could barely make them out on Summit's site. I've used the Romac and SFI balancers in the past and they certainly are nice but I think they are overkill for this car.

Thanks again

JoeRacer

Established Member
I second that the Ford Racing piece is identical to the stock one. Perhaps the rubber is a little tougher, but they still won't hold up long to constant high RPM blasts. If you are planning on sub 6000rpm then you'll be golden with one though.

Users who are viewing this thread