Ford Racing diff cover and fluid

mrspeedy69

W.O.R.D.
Established Member
So I'm a little confused. So I thought the cobra irs was suppose to hold around 1.3-1.5 quarts of fluid. I read a few threads that said with this cover it would hold more fluid and most people were using a little over 2 quarts and that it would start flowing out of the fill hole.

I put a little over 2 quarts maybe closer to 2.5 and it never came out of the fill hole but started coming out of the axle tubes. Now I don't have it in the car it's just sitting flat on the ground but is pretty level. So I'm not sure how much should be in it.

KLLR SNK

Established Member
What hole are you using to fill with? Sounds like you are using the top hole hole which is not the correct fill hole. The fill hole is at the mid point of the cover and takes 1.8-1.9 quarts to fill. Remove the plug that is in the middle of the cover but have a drain pan ready to catch the overflow. As the car sits level let the fluid drain out until it quits then replace the plug. You are good to go. If you do not let it drain to the spec level and run the fluid over-filled the fluid will expand when warm, build pressure inside the cover, then blow out the vent tube.

mrspeedy69

W.O.R.D.
Established Member
Thank you. I'm an idiot, the middle plug was hidden once I put it all back together and was filling from the top hole. I thought it was too high but wasn't sure.

Users who are viewing this thread