Ford Racing 8.8 complete axle, worth it?

wlg101190

Established Member
Looks good to me, as it already has the 31 spline axles, and 3.73 gears. Hm...what else is needed for a complete swap?

wy3134

Established Member
it doesnt come with axles or brakes unfortunately... but id rather pay the $800 then $500 from a junkyard for a rusted 8.8 that has miles on it

sb03cobra

Established Member
Not a bad deal, but its made for 79-98 mustangs. Its about 1 1/2 inches shorter than a 99-04 rear.

It will still fit, just have to watch your wheel offset.

wy3134

Established Member
so does that mean i would need to go a larger offset, ie. 7.5 or 8.5 or ...?

or would it be better/easier to just do a 1/2 inch wheel spacer on each side with the extended studs?

Black Sex

Established Member
i bought my rear axle kit (99-04) from speedconcepts.net. it came with axles, housing, gears, all bearing/shims, t-loc. the only thing i had to buy was a cobra brake bracket kit to mount my stock rear brakes. then i used my pinion flange off my irs. its all 31 spline FMS. i think i paid $1400

Helomech74

Established Member
Not a bad deal, but its made for 79-98 mustangs. Its about 1 1/2 inches shorter than a 99-04 rear.

It will still fit, just have to watch your wheel offset.

I think it's meant only for 79-93 mustangs. The widths aren't the same from 79-98. They are as follows:

79-93: 59" wheel to wheel
94-98: 60.5" wheel to wheel
99-04: 62" wheel to wheel

So, just make sure it's the correct width and go with it. It will work regardless, but you will need to be more observant of wheel backspacing and offsets. If it's for a Foxbody, then you would be looking at 3" total difference.

wy3134

Established Member
i bought my rear axle kit (99-04) from speedconcepts.net. It came with axles, housing, gears, all bearing/shims, t-loc. The only thing i had to buy was a cobra brake bracket kit to mount my stock rear brakes. Then i used my pinion flange off my irs. Its all 31 spline fms. I think i paid $1400

awesome thanks man!!!!

wy3134

Established Member
thanks guys, ive already decided to just buy a 9" complete setup from moser. they told me it would be $2450 plus shipping and they set it up, all i have to do is bolt it up to the car

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
thanks guys, ive already decided to just buy a 9" complete setup from moser. they told me it would be $2450 plus shipping and they set it up, all i have to do is bolt it up to the car

just curious? why do you need a 9" are you making gobs of hp? guys run 8s on 8.8s in the NMRA. my 8.8 has been fine too...just have to get the right center section. $2400 + control arms and exhaust is ALOT imo. my fully built 8.8 was about $1500. plus the 9" is heavier.

oldmodman

Established Member
The real benefit to running a 9" is the easy gear ration changes that are possible. You can buy a second diff assembly and just swap them over. I have done it on cars in 45 minutes. But except for that reason it is not necessary to go with a 9" in our cars. The 8.8 is plenty strong if built properly.

Mr. Freeze

Established Member
i bought my rear axle kit (99-04) from speedconcepts.net. it came with axles, housing, gears, all bearing/shims, t-loc. the only thing i had to buy was a cobra brake bracket kit to mount my stock rear brakes. then i used my pinion flange off my irs. its all 31 spline FMS. i think i paid $1400

Where did you buy the cobra brake bracket kit to mount your stock rear brakes to the sra???

Black Sex

Established Member
Where did you buy the cobra brake bracket kit to mount your stock rear brakes to the sra???

i orderd it from summit, and i dont think you can use the gt brake brackets. i dont think the cobra rotors will fit but i may be wrong.
the reason i orderd it was the axle housing was bare and didnt have them

wy3134

Established Member
gt's and cobras share the same rear calipers. the difference is the size of the rotor...but the mach 1s have a larger setup and thus a different bracket. do the gt version so you can run slicks

Users who are viewing this thread