Ford Procal/Bama question

Funny5.0

Established Member
Just joined but have been lurking around for a while.

Anyway, I have a 2012 Auto GT just broken in and love the car!
I just had the Ford Procal tune installed.
It made a mildly noticeable difference but I want more :bored:...
The dealer is very cool about me having the Procal as far as warranty is concerned.

My question is:
If I were to install the Bama race tune and then load the stock or Ford racing tune in before servicing, would they be able to differentiate between the two different tunes or would it just looked like I flashed it or unplugged my battery a few times? I have heard they know how many time it's been flashed as there is a counter that can be erased. It shows the same code as unplugging your battery?
For all you haters that say you got to pay to play (which I agree with) It's not that I want to hide anything, it's just that I don't want to be treated unfairly for having an aftermarket tune when there is a problem caused by a factory defect...
Btw, If the aftermarket tune blows something up, I will own up no problem.

Last edited:

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
I am curious of this also as I had thoughts of doing the same, but if they are going to warranty a tune, I am sure they thought of ways to protect themselves. Your question does seem perfectly logical.

I took the plunge anyway and had Torq load a tune in my SCT. The difference was in the O M G level. Throttle response changed by like 100% and it shifts as hard as an older type trans with a shift kit (tire marks included). Worth every single cent of the risk. Added a CAI about a week later and the difference was negligible compared to how much difference the tune made. (Yes I updated it with the CAI).

Funny5.0

Established Member
They can tell and would possibly not cover any damages under the warranty.

Do you know for a fact they can tell or are you assuming?
If you know they can, do you mind explaining how?

I understand they can tell if you've had a tune, but differences between them?

Last edited:

Funny5.0

Established Member
Worth every single cent of the risk.
This is what I'm talking about! Thanks for the reply. I don't feel this way about the Procal at all! Not worth the risking your warranty. Luckily it comes with one though.

Funny5.0

Established Member
It leaves a perminent code on the car's computer. This has been covered before. Try searching.

I'm not a noob to forums and am well aware of the search function...
From what Iv'e researched Iv'e gathered that they can tell a tune has been there and how many times your car has been reflashed but Iv'e never read anywhere that they can tell the difference between a Ford tune and a steeda tune for example. :read:

RMoore92

Established Member
Do you know for a fact they can tell or are you assuming?
If you know they can, do you mind explaining how?

I understand they can tell if you've had a tune, but differences between them?

Excuse my ignorance for not reading your entire post. I can't really answer your question :(

Funny5.0

Established Member
Excuse my ignorance for not reading your entire post. I can't really answer your question :(

No problem.
This may be a tough one to answer. If anyone actually has experience with this please chime in.:shrug:

The service guy who installed the Ford tune advised me to put it back to stock and drive it around through a drive cycle before bringing it in to get rid of the P1000 code if I bring to a questionable dealer that may be ignorant about the Procal. I know they can tell after this is done but I'm sure the PCM would have to be further dissected to know if a tune was even there. I really want to know at this point if they can tell if there were different tunes present or if they just know A tune was there such as my procal and how many times it's been flashed.

If I don't find a definitive answer soon i'll probably stick with the Procal and throw some 3.55's or 3.73 gears/catback in there to hold me over.:-D
That torq tune sounds enticing! I wonder if it's much better than the Bama race or others?

Last edited:

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
When you load a tune it leaves a time stamp on the PCM. Just like when it sees a hard code. It will remember the mileage at the time of the event.

5.0jake

Established Member
When you load a tune it leaves a time stamp on the PCM. Just like when it sees a hard code. It will remember the mileage at the time of the event.

I'm aware of this but do they know difference between different tunes?:shrug:
This shouldn't be a problem. I don't think they would care if I went back to stock then loaded the Procal tune back in for what ever reason(suspected pinging maybe). I want to know if they'd know if I had installed a different tune than the Ford Racing?

Last edited:

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
I seriously doubt they would be able to tell if you did. Was your Ford ProCal done so as to keep your vehicle warranty in tact?

5.0jake

Established Member
I seriously doubt they would be able to tell if you did. Was your Ford ProCal done so as to keep your vehicle warranty in tact?

Mine was installed and acknowledged by a dealer.
To the op I wonder if this can be done too. I also have the Ford racing tune.

Last edited:

Funny5.0

Established Member

Yes the dealer is very cool about the Procal and warranty. 3/36 Ford Racing and they also said my 3/36 bumper to bumper and 60k powertrain would be fine too.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I think that I understand now. You want to know if you can tune the car with an SCT, and are asking if the dealer can decifer the differences in tune. Like others have said, probably not other than time stamps of changes. The other they may be able to tell is if they check history of the RPM cycles. If the SCT tune allows you to rev the car to 7000+ RPM's, they may be able to assume this has been done.

Keep in mind that if anything major happens to the engine, the dealer is not the one who decides to warranty. They report their diagnosis and findings to FMC, who then authorize or further diagnose the warranty and probable fix. Gone are the days where the dealer will just drop a new engine in and send FMC the bill. Most major work requires authorization from FMC before it can be done.

Funny5.0

Established Member
I think that I understand now. You want to know if you can tune the car with an SCT, and are asking if the dealer can decifer the differences in tune.
You got it, exactly what i'm asking. I don't know how they could tell either. But you bring up a good point about the rpms. Can't you set it to your liking? I just wouldn't set it higher than 7k or the stock redline. If you shift the auto "manually" stock it will rev to 7k, Iv'e done it. I don't want it revving higher than 7k anyway.

Keep in mind that if anything major happens to the engine, the dealer is not the one who decides to warranty. They report their diagnosis and findings to FMC, who then authorize or further diagnose the warranty and probable fix. Gone are the days where the dealer will just drop a new engine in and send FMC the bill. Most major work requires authorization from FMC before it can be done.
[/QUOTE]
Yes I already understand this.

Users who are viewing this thread