Ford parts guy wants to deal on brake parts...any advice?

mdisalvo85

Established Member
Some of you may have read my recent post on ford quoting a thousand to redo my front calipers, rotors, and pads. They went ahead and ordered the parts and we told them not to do the work. So now he wants to make a deal on the parts because he said they can't send them back and they will probably sit around.

I told him I'd call later cause I wanted to check with everyone on here first for what you all thought was a good deal. Here's what they wanted for everything (I know it's really high).

Calipers- 232.00+253.00= 488.00
Rotors - 195x2 = 390.00<----this is the way the printout he gave me looks, but I think it's supposed to be 195 total...
Pads - = 150.00
Grand Total of 1028.00!!! (if it's 195 total for the rotors, then its 833.00)

My Dad wants to make a deal with them and get the parts there because he knows a couple of the guys that work there. Also they fixed my alternator/battery problem free of charge.
I tried telling the parts guy that we could get the same calipers from Jegs with pads for 400.00, his response was that they weren't OEM pads and the ones that came from jegs would be crap. What do you guys think would be good prices on all of this stuff? They seem pretty ready to deal on it...anybody have any idea what their markup might be so I can figure out how much they paid?

Last edited:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
first check with fordsvtparts, to see what he can give you for the same parts, second if your gonna spend that much you should consider it time to upgrade the parts instead esp. for brake pads and rotors, I say walk away unless they give you a killer deal

the parts from frodsvtparts. will be 10% over cost so that will give you an idea of what they are charging you

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Don't feel bad about saying "NO" even though they ordered the parts already. It's their own damn fault for not pricing it out and coming to you BEFORE ordering the stuff.

That's the thing that gets me the most about dealerships... They use such rediculous methods to almost force you into having them do the work.

mdisalvo85

Established Member
I gotta be honest, the only problem is my Dad is paying for this and he said he feels partially responsible they ordered the parts from a conversation he had with them...so he's really in charge here. He wants me to call and offer 600 and see what they say...I just got off the phone with someone from the SVTPARTS number (who was extremely helpful and if it were my choice we would go through them) and I think I've figured that ford paid about 640 for all the parts...

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
like i said, cobra brake stuff isnt cheap, OEM. the calipers are probably 250-300, and thats after turning in the $70 each core charge. if no one gives a response on act. fomoco prices, ill check in the AM when i get to work.... since parts is a few feet away ;)

HeavyRightFoot

STRAIT TO THE TOP
Established Member
This is MSRP on the parts
Front pads....$95.73
Rotors..........$194.98 each
Calipers........$231.27 & $252.78

He is correct about not being able to send them back. You should ask him if they could sell them at wholesale pricing.

mdisalvo85

Established Member
I just got off the phone and he said they would take 675 for all of it. Since my Dad knows a couple guys there he said he wants to stay on their good side so we're just gonna go ahead and get the parts. Not really a bad deal for the OEM parts, I would have preferred some nice brembo rotors and hawk pads, but I'm happy with it. Now onto the installation...

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Gosh...unbelievable how much people are willing to pay these days...good luck kid

WhiteFoxGT

Resident Ford Tech
Established Member
Ford parts departments charge just about 100% over list....

So whatever they are charging you for the parts, basically divide it in half... Its like that with a TON of shit... I notice it all the time when I go to get prices for the cars I'm working on...

mdisalvo85

Established Member
It's not what I would have paid, the decision really wasn't up to me...I would love to be putting some aftermarket stuff on there, but I can't really complain.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
Ford parts departments charge just about 100% over list....

So whatever they are charging you for the parts, basically divide it in half... Its like that with a TON of shit... I notice it all the time when I go to get prices for the cars I'm working on...

what for dealer do you work at to pay 100% OVER list?????? ours uses the standard pricing system, no markups. some dealers use a matrix system that raises list up from SPO list prices... but thats more common in larger cities.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Interesting that happened to you... I'm in real good with the parts guy I get my stuff through (relative owns the dealership) and he always ask me if I 100% want the item before they order it. Apparently they can't return items after they've recieve it. And if you're at a small dealership where someone else probably won't end up walking in looking for a set of Cobra brakes, they're kind of stuck with them... Not suprised they cut you the deal they did.

SpittingCobra

Established Member
I just got off the phone and he said they would take 675 for all of it. Since my Dad knows a couple guys there he said he wants to stay on their good side so we're just gonna go ahead and get the parts. Not really a bad deal for the OEM parts, I would have preferred some nice brembo rotors and hawk pads, but I'm happy with it. Now onto the installation...

Damn dude, you're Dad is willing to really waste alot of money on some stock replacement parts just to, "stay on someone's good side." :nonono:

If these guys didn't have their heads so far up their asses, you're Dad wouldn't have to buy overpriced stock parts that YOU don't want on your car, and they shouldn't have FORCED and guilt tripped you into buying.

Before you tell me that I'm way off base, I work at a Ford dealership, in the service department.

I deal with these service reps and parts clerk hotheads everyday. That's how they make their money, by using whatever form of physchology they can to get you to have them do all of your service at an extorionary rate.

It was their fault, and TRUST ME, there was no mixup at all. That was their plan from the beginning.

mdisalvo85

Established Member
I don't think you're way off base, or off base at all. I think you're totally right. It sucks not to upgrade the brakes, but at the same time there's really nothing I can do. I just gotta be happy he'll get the parts for me and wait til I get a job where I can start modding the car how I want to...ahh someday.

SpittingCobra

Established Member
I don't think you're way off base, or off base at all. I think you're totally right. It sucks not to upgrade the brakes, but at the same time there's really nothing I can do. I just gotta be happy he'll get the parts for me and wait til I get a job where I can start modding the car how I want to...ahh someday.

It's only a matter of time before someone will learn this lesson about stealerships. I learned it when I was 20 and I broke down on my Harley only a mile from the local Harley dealer......very very very bad/expensive mistake. I learned, never again. :nonono:

Better luck next time. And learn to wrench on that car so no one can try to pull the wool over your eyes, ever.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
It's only a matter of time before someone will learn this lesson about stealerships. I learned it when I was 20 and I broke down on my Harley only a mile from the local Harley dealer......very very very bad/expensive mistake. I learned, never again. :nonono:

Better luck next time. And learn to wrench on that car so no one can try to pull the wool over your eyes, ever.

everyday, i love to read the general hate towards dealerships. i guess i work at the only one that doesnt hump people in the baloon knot.. :shrug:

i agree what you said above. we NEVER order parts untill customer give the ok for the work. they are trying to make a deal to get rid of parts that will collect dust on the shelf.

WhiteFoxGT

Resident Ford Tech
Established Member
everyday, i love to read the general hate towards dealerships. i guess i work at the only one that doesnt hump people in the baloon knot.. :shrug:

i agree what you said above. we NEVER order parts untill customer give the ok for the work. they are trying to make a deal to get rid of parts that will collect dust on the shelf.

Carman Ford

I look ALL the time at their screens when they bill out parts, it shows dealer cost then right next to it, it shows how much they are billing the customer...and 85% of the time the part is just about DOUBLE the cost.... Im not tryin to exaggerate either... I bought my new motor thru my parts department and paid 1000$ less than what they charge the customers...

Users who are viewing this thread