Ford Modular 5.0 Block

CamCobra10

Established Member
Just saw ford is offering these bare blocks for Sn95...so far this is what I know, iron block, need a machine shop to get it to your specs, you can make it to a 5.4 stroker, siamese bore, distributes cooling efficiently over the 4.6 design....anyone has any experience or knowledge about these motors? Im in the process of ordering a shortblock and head upgrade, teskid 298 4.6 stroker with stage 2 cams springs and valves..i still have time to change my shortblock, seeing if its worth the money, reliability, and horsepower.

Helomech74

Established Member
Nothing new about this block, it's been around since about 06-07 time frame. I've used 3 of them and nothing but good luck with them. You can't get 5.4L out of them, but you can get 5.3. They do require final machine work (decking, final honing for pistons etc.) My last one needed about 800 bucks in work on top of the price (which was 945 at the time). They have gone up and down in pricing since the inception and I think they currently run about 1500 bucks. So consider that along with the cost for machine work prior to making your decision. They are pretty much the culmination of all the upgrades done to modular blocks over the years along with a 3.7" bore without the use of sleeves. Everyone bitches about the weight, I weighed it with main caps in along with my teksid w/main caps and there was only about a 65lb weight difference, for that I'll go with that block every time, especially with the amount of power it can handle.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Oh shit it was only a 65lb difference?!!! That's awesome I thought it was like 100+ lb weight difference!!!!

CamCobra10

Established Member
Nothing new about this block, it's been around since about 06-07 time frame. I've used 3 of them and nothing but good luck with them. You can't get 5.4L out of them, but you can get 5.3. They do require final machine work (decking, final honing for pistons etc.) My last one needed about 800 bucks in work on top of the price (which was 945 at the time). They have gone up and down in pricing since the inception and I think they currently run about 1500 bucks. So consider that along with the cost for machine work prior to making your decision. They are pretty much the culmination of all the upgrades done to modular blocks over the years along with a 3.7" bore without the use of sleeves. Everyone bitches about the weight, I weighed it with main caps in along with my teksid w/main caps and there was only about a 65lb weight difference, for that I'll go with that block every time, especially with the amount of power it can handle.
what parts will i need to buy or reuse off my teskid to make it work, other than rods, pistons, oil pump? i'm assuming i can use my b heads to top it off, anything special that you would recommend, this will be my future setup 5.3 stroker, b heads ported 1mm os valves, stage 1 blower cams, ysi, 4r70w lentech...just looking to have a strong 700hp car, good suspension and weighs close to 3k, looking for low 10's high 9's street car... glad you commented back, there's you, n/a svt and on other person on here that really know's their stuff

Users who are viewing this thread