Ford just landed an uppercut on the aftermarket industry

Coiled03

Established Member
The factory OPGs are very hard, to the point of being brittle and dropping them would definitely 86 them. They don't do well with impacts, instantaneous changes in force...That's what breaks them in the motor. The rapid changes in force, example repeatedly hitting the limiter, or using a WOT box cause rapid acceleration/deceleration otherwise known as jerk and that breaks factory OPGs.

Well then. That sounds like a poor metallurgical selection for the application. Either that, or the bean counters won, and they went cheap.

Zemedici

Established Member
because Im sure thats an accurate representation of the forces applied to it inside a motor.

see below - anything else?

The factory OPGs are very hard, to the point of being brittle and dropping them would definitely 86 them. They don't do well with impacts, instantaneous changes in force...That's what breaks them in the motor. The rapid changes in force, example repeatedly hitting the limiter, or using a WOT box cause rapid acceleration/deceleration otherwise known as jerk and that breaks factory OPGs.

SCHOOL IS IN SESSION BOYS! PULL UP A ****IN SEAT

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Well then. That sounds like a poor metallurgical selection for the application. Either that, or the bean counters won, and they went cheap.

Ford has done it that way for years, sure its 'good enough' for the application(most of the time) and bean counters. I have yet to ever break them and this is my 4th mod motor'd car. However I do plan on upgrading them soon on my 14, been beating this car like rented mule and want the peace of mine. FWIW I have buddy that has a 10 sec NA car (2012), launches on two step, trans brake..he's been on stock OPGs for years. Personally I wouldn't push my luck with his setup, but it ain't my car.

Coiled03

Established Member
Ford has done it that way for years, sure its 'good enough' for the application(most of the time) and bean counters. I have yet to ever break them and this is my 4th mod motor'd car. However I do plan on upgrading them soon on my 14, been beating this car like rented mule and want the peace of mine. FWIW I have buddy that has a 10 sec NA car (2012), launches on two step, trans brake..he's been on stock OPGs for years. Personally I wouldn't push my luck with his setup, but it ain't my car.

Yeah, I was probably a little harsh with my assessment. I mean, they need to make money, and the vast majority of these won't see the kind of abuse SVTPers put them through. They're building it for the masses, not the hot rodders, so I get why they probably did it.

Still sucks for people that grenade a motor because of it, though.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Yeah, I was probably a little harsh with my assessment. I mean, they need to make money, and the vast majority of these won't see the kind of abuse SVTPers put them through. They're building it for the masses, not the hot rodders, so I get why they probably did it.

Still sucks for people that grenade a motor because of it, though.

It’s one of those deals, it’s fine till it’s not :D imagine enthusiasts are harder on these cars than the general public. I definitely consider myself fortunate thus far, plenty of no lift shifts right at the limiter. The manual cars likely shock these opgs more than the autos.

Users who are viewing this thread