Ford investing into carbon fiber materials (HELL YEAH) Shedding up to 750lbs

REPCobra10

Established Member
This is really cool, but don't expect to see sub 3000# factory Mustangs on the streets anytime soon. There are 2 seater carbon fiber monocoque super cars covered in the stuff that can't get below the 3k mark. 750# makes for a nice media headline, but lets hold the celebrations for a bit.

Agreed! However, even if they could get it down by half of the claimed 750 pounds in weight savings, that's a Hell of a start!

Last edited:

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
Good way to save weight! I've already shedded 600lbs off my Lightning and still more to come! :rockon:

JnlPk.jpg

Must. See. More. NOW :rockon:

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Agreed! However, even if they could get it down by half of the claimed 750 pounds in weight savings, that's a Hell of a start!

Hell yea that would be great, but I would think 100# for the next gen is more realistic, being that it'll still be on basically the same platform.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
well I think I know what I want my next coyote to look like, CF wrap FTW since I dont have $135K laying around, lol.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
guys, that's "cutting the weight of new cars and trucks by up to 750 pounds", no car will be losing anywhere close to 750lbs!!! if anything is losing 750lbs, it's the pickups. the 250/350/450 are all currently heavier than an equally equipped silverado or ram, ford definitely has weight to lose there.
there have been some other reports that pegged the mustang at losing up to 300lbs, though i believe ~150lbs is much more realistic. it would be great to see a 3,450lb GT again, and INSANE to see a 3,550-3,600lb 650HP GT500!

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I think reintroducing the Cobra R as a Carbon fiber body to beat up on the Gen V Viper and C7 Vette would make the return of the R sweet, call it return of the king!

Fuerza

Established Member
Imagine a carbon fiber roof and hood option for the GT500 or Boss. It may not save 750lbs but it sure could shed a 100 or so lbs.

justa03

UVBNBIT
Established Member
guys, that's "cutting the weight of new cars and trucks by up to 750 pounds", no car will be losing anywhere close to 750lbs!!! if anything is losing 750lbs, it's the pickups. the 250/350/450 are all currently heavier than an equally equipped silverado or ram, ford definitely has weight to lose there.
there have been some other reports that pegged the mustang at losing up to 300lbs, though i believe ~150lbs is much more realistic. it would be great to see a 3,450lb GT again, and INSANE to see a 3,550-3,600lb 650HP GT500!

I have to agree to a point that the Fords are heavier then a like compared truck but if you ever go pull a REAL heavy load you will want that extra weight on the truck especially if you the trailer starts to sway on you a bit. Lighter is better to a certian applicaion and aspect. IMO

peteypab2133

Established Member
Imagine a carbon fiber roof and hood option for the GT500 or Boss. It may not save 750lbs but it sure could shed a 100 or so lbs.

The roof believe it or not is probably not THAT heavy in comparison to a carbon one. They require the roof the have more supports and thicker counterparts for it to be as stiff and stable.

The hood, doors, and rear quarters would be the heaviest. Dry cabron is even lighter than the wet cabron, but in most cases is an extra 400-500$ per part.

Anyone could shave 150-250 pounds just by doing those 3 in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread