Ford Innovation drive 05 mustang

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
A lot of 'real' people got to drive 05's today at a Ford racing Innovation Drive. Heres the links to them chattin it up.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=4501

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=4509

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=4507

Finally some normal regulars on the forums drove em, some videos and new pics too. Sounds like a winner.

1171724_img.jpg

1171711_img.jpg

COBRA32

Established Member
May 03 Cobra will be for sale when the New Cobra comes out. Just love the look of the yellow, gray, red and black, *ell I like them all! :beer:

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Originally posted by SanDiego01Snake
it still does nothing at all for me :nonono:
I'm one of the few that finds it on the fugly side still... good links though.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Yea instead of 'my buddy at ford' or 'some guy' these are regular Mustang owners driving them. I went to my ride-and-drive today for sales training and NO mustangs to drive. I think that the ford racing event uses all the current media cars they have available anyway.

Spent a LOT of time combing over the 500 today, and from a realistic unbiased stance(not a drag racing look or a coolness look but a MARKET segment observation) it is an AMAZING car to come from America, it really does have 45k worth of engineering in a sub 30k package. I even checked every rubber seal, parts fit, even how they chose to mount the washer fluid bottle, how suspension components are stamped, I mean COMBED over. Ill have to do a thread later. 100% impressed with the engineering, it leapfrogs camry/avalon/accord in spades.

Gino

So Long!
Originally posted by KevinB120
Spent a LOT of time combing over the 500 today, and from a realistic unbiased stance(not a drag racing look or a coolness look but a MARKET segment observation) it is an AMAZING car to come from America, it really does have 45k worth of engineering in a sub 30k package. I even checked every rubber seal, parts fit, even how they chose to mount the washer fluid bottle, how suspension components are stamped, I mean COMBED over. Ill have to do a thread later. 100% impressed with the engineering, it leapfrogs camry/avalon/accord in spades.

it is very impressive, however Ford will have to add more powertrain options to compete a little bit better with the German's in the future. I think (posted this before) it'd be great if it were offered with a variety of motors and transmissions. an SMG automatic tranny for instance, with the option of say the N/A V6, a blown one maybe, and also a V8. I mean, look at Audi (this thing looks to be A4 competition)-- they offer multispeed auto/manual/smg transmissions with a variety of turbocharged motors (I4's, V6's, V8's). I think this thing is a start in the right direction, but it needs more and hopefully with time it'll get just that.

you should know best of all Kevin, people like selection and choice these days. luxury cars in this segment are like fashion accessories-- everyone wants to customize their own. I'd still take an A4 1.8T Quattro or an S40 T5 AWD over the Five-Hundred... they both offer 6-speed manual's, SMG trannies, and boosted engines. Volvo's Haldex All-Wheel Drive system is definetly a plus for this thing though, thank god it has that and a 6-speed auto... not so keen on the ZF CVT tranny, but its all good I guess

:-D

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Originally posted by Gino
it is very impressive, however Ford will have to add more powertrain options to compete a little bit better with the German's in the future. I think (posted this before) it'd be great if it were offered with a variety of motors and transmissions. an SMG automatic tranny for instance, with the option of say the N/A V6, a blown one maybe, and also a V8. I mean, look at Audi (this thing looks to be A4 competition)-- they offer multispeed auto/manual/smg transmissions with a variety of turbocharged motors (I4's, V6's, V8's). I think this thing is a start in the right direction, but it needs more and hopefully with time it'll get just that.

you should know best of all Kevin, people like selection and choice these days. luxury cars in this segment are like fashion accessories-- everyone wants to customize their own. I'd still take an A4 1.8T Quattro or an S40 T5 AWD over the Five-Hundred... they both offer 6-speed manual's, SMG trannies, and boosted engines. Volvo's Haldex All-Wheel Drive system is definetly a plus for this thing though, thank god it has that and a 6-speed auto... not so keen on the ZF CVT tranny, but its all good I guess

:-D

Remember the price point........when Audi sells an AWD sedan for 24k msrp, or Audi sells 6 million vehicles a year, then I will consider them something to compare to. If you are going to take price out of the issue, then why doesnt the base A4 go as fast as the Ford GT??? They need to make their stuff faster, if you ask me. As for manual, why bother??? Id like to see someone 'outshift' a car that never has to shift. In 15 second acceleration runs, a car hits its peak power for less then 1 second total in a manual, it hits it for 13 seconds with a cvt. good luck.

Its a 'normal' family sedan. This thing TOPS out for 31k for cryin out loud. I like that it also uses the phateon's 6 speed auto for the FWD's. I will get more into details later, but Ford acually made MAJOR improvements to the Volvo platform, it is a much better chassis now. Audi actually has sold 400,000 vehicles with the same CVT metal 'belt' it uses. One of these days they will make a 500hp car with a cvt that can acellerate at max hp/rpm non-stop untill you let off the pedal. It even uses the same all-in-one coil over load leveling system caddy uses in the high-end stuff, with 5 people in them they did not sag a fraction of an inch, no compressor noise, its silent and fast.

Funny enough this car is not ment to be a speed demon, but it beats the V6 camry and 300 v6 handilly(7.4 to 60) with much less horsepower. The CVT is wild to drive, it does not slow down at all either when you get off the gas, you can actually engage "low" to program in engine braking/drag for curvy roads or hills. Of course there is no gears, so its not like L on the average auto. Other then a tad of lag on 'launch' all acelleration is butter smooth, all the time. You have to get used to no 'kick down' at ALL when you go from cruise to pass. Tons of improvements to the duratec to make it smoother, and they work. Steering is silk-smooth and boost is dead on for the driving style, suspension is unbelievably compliant, very pleasurable to drive, one the best driving sedans I have ever been in under 40k. Absolutely no loss of any composure while turning and braking over a very bumpy surface. It just does what you tell it to do and never gives you any shit about it. Brakes are excellent, they are very large and thick, front and rear are ventillated, they are Freestyle-spec brakes, so they are made to stop 400lb more vehicle. Pedal has excellent modulation.

Suspension is mostly hydroformed and there are HUGE cross-body braces everywhere, including a large one under the rear of the front seats, you can actually put your feet under it in the back. There are monsterous strut tower bracing, and the b-pillars and cowl cross-car beam are 3 layers of metal, unheard of. Front frame rails are octogon shaped to provide stiffness from every angle, and there are enormous reverse shotgun braces behind the front wheel wells for intrusion protetion(and I mean BIG). Door side impact braces run diagonally from upper front hinge point to door latch point, its not just a stick. Hyrdo tuned bushings all over the place, oil pan is now a structural piece. Most members have conventional 'U" bends but have reverse curls on the edges for great strength. The car looks like it has a full cage setup with no skin. Re-inforced rockers that no one else has(3 layer), car is overbuilt everywhere. All testers have around 2k miles, not a SINGLE squeak, creak, rattle, NOTHING.

2005-500-11.jpg

If the driver is 5'10 and the rear seat passenger is 5'10, there is easilly over 9" of room between your knees and the seat backs. You can put your feet under the seats pretty far. Trunk/interior is enormous. SEL cloth is wonderfull, I thought it was swede when I got in, no shit. Overall everything fits perfectly, interior is very well laid out, all buttons 'feel' good and click and move like they should. Finally power seatback on limited. They do not have shit like the uber-cupholder that spins around like MB uses, but DUH. Everything works as it should be, quality is really nice for price point. Standard features galore, even on 22k SE model. 6cd mp3 players and climate control, steering wheel controls appear in the mid price point range. All vehicles have keyless entry pads now, abs standard on all models. It can actually hold a 10' stepladder in the car, and the 8 golf bag trunk promo is no joke at all, its a monster. The h-point(hip height) is 5" higher then average, visibility is excellent, car never feels 'top heavy', nor does it look it .

2005-500-10.jpg

All body seams are excellent, paint excellent, gaps are razor sharp. All the trim work around the greenhouse is on par with a german sedan. Mirror color caps, lamp components, and any trim pieces are mounted tight enough you cant put one piece of paper in the gap. All rubber overlaps in ways that make sense, all seals consistant and attractive, no wavy chunks of plastic in the door seams when they are closed. Styling is MUCH different in person. Great color choices, all wheels look good, 18's look GREAT. Very tastefull. I thought it would look just like a passat like it does in photos, but it changes in person. One very nice touch is a little underlip on the trunk lid that curves back in, and the tail lights meet it at the top and taper into it, you have to see it to understand.

This thing is NOT supposed to be going against 300 hemis or audis. It has SOOOOO much more engineering then Avalon/camry/civic/and the GM sedans. Wonderful car. Having a more pedestrian all-purpose family car like this really opens the door for a wild RWD vic replacement. I TRUELY believe that this car outclasses the staple sedans from Japan, on all levels. I have total respect for the excellent toy/honda offerings too, so this is objectively biased, not personally. The GM mid-size sedans arent even in the same century as this car.

I really thought this thing was going to feel way undepowered, but it doesnt. It also is so pleasant to drive you adjust to it instantly. It just feels GOOD. I do not think they need to make any attempt to turn this into some racing sedan. The 260 hp(it would feel like 325 with the cvt then)duratec 35 would be nice, but its fine the way it is now. Great car.

Last edited:

Koolaid_Guy

Awesome write up kevin, wow never expected that. I never knew the car was that good but wow, sounds like a hands down winner. Keep it up ford, and i agree no gm sedan touches this thing :D Ford just keeps better these days :rockon:

Fn'sh!t^

93svt 4 me !!
Established Member
I got an invite to go down and test drive teh new ford vehicles. Should of went, but that day was also when I was applying for a new position with in teh company I work for. Couldnt work in both unfortunately. That would of been some fun to go test drive new cars.

Users who are viewing this thread