Ford has worst day since 2011 while GM has record earnings

blinelaxd27

Established Member
Just saw that ford reported disappointing earnings and is down over 9% while GM reported record earnings.

What is going on with big blue?

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Some one with a lot of money is pissed they didn't get a FGT allocation.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Away from the U.S., Ford experienced turmoil from Brexit. The auto maker suffered a $60 million hit due to the collapse in the British pound and warned of full-year losses of $200 million related to a "weaker industry" in the U.K.
Britain is Ford's second biggest market and makes up about 30% of European sales. Ford anticipates losses of $400 million to $500 million a year after 2016 due to Brexit.

Crazy. http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/28/investing/ford-earnings-warns-us-auto-slowdown/

nxhappy

Established Member
-$ 1.26 or 9.14%

might be a good buy within the next few days

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I never understood why Ford stock does so terribly on the market. I bought a few years back when it was still slightly recovering from the crash. It hardly ever went up, even though Ford started putting out amazing products and having great sales numbers. So I dumped it after making a very small amount of money. Glad I did, because it's only gone down since then.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I never understood why Ford stock does so terribly on the market. I bought a few years back when it was still slightly recovering from the crash. It hardly ever went up, even though Ford started putting out amazing products and having great sales numbers. So I dumped it after making a very small amount of money. Glad I did, because it's only gone down since then.

Ford has taken huge losses in europe and other markets where they have invested lots of money to make their business profitable in the future, where other manufacturers didn't. Ford just recently started seeing net profits in europe, not a lot, but it was better than the constant losses they had. Ford also has a huge portion of debt in the form of auto loans given to the public.

AAG

Established Member
We do think the U.S. (new vehicle market) is coming down. We think the second half will be lower than the first half," said Bob Shanks, Ford chief financial officer. "We saw higher industry incentives. In the U.S. we also saw lower auction values, particularly from smaller vehicles.

Maybe people are finally realizing how over priced their vehicles are (cars in general). It's one of the main reasons I refuse to purchase a new vehicle, just for it to be worth half it's original price in 2-3 years.

03'Darin

Established Member

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member

Mach828

Established Member
Because Britain withdrew from the EU and Ford incurred losses related to currency values. The public there likely won't buy as many new cars until they meet a new deal or bounce back.

Herp Derp

o2gt

Established Member
I think they will figure it out. They can figure how to work in the changing euro market. they will have time like everyone else to understand the changes with the britex move. I did look at some options dated in 2017 and 2018. they seem very fairly priced.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Their margins took a substantial hit. IMO, they might be exhibiting some old bad habits and chasing volume. I won't pretend to know their strategy, but based on fleet sales figures and increased incentive spend, it would seem to suggest that. It's only one qtr.

I'm still a buyer.

Last edited:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Hmmm is this Obamas, Hillarys or Trumps fault?

Yep it's Bush's fault...yep I'm sure of it

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Vehicle allocation and planning runs several years ahead. Ford was looking at $70-90 oil and developed their product line to match. At $40, no one is looking for fuel economy so truck and SUV sales are high, but cars are slow. Still, I think Ford is missing Mullaly.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
LOL wrong....

Requiring too many incentives drove their loss. What would you say was the leading contributing factor to the need for these incentives?

Automaker stocks are not very good investments because the market is so saturated. Short of something wildly innovative they are stuck in a range. I would only own it to trade the range. If Ford is struggling now that suggests they won't handle any global economic decline very well.

Users who are viewing this thread